motor swap

i'm looking to buy a 90 wrangler with a blown motor. It has the 4cyl, 5spd trans in it. what is involved to install a 6cyl and trans of around the same year. what all would I need ?.

Reply to
Big Don

The easiest way would be to find a rust bucket or a roll over with a good drivetrain. That way you can take the 6 with the tranny and t-case and driveshafts and away you go.

If you stick with the 90 or older options, you are talking the 4.2 L carb engine. It can be put in with no electronics besides the ignition module. The only computer they used was a poor excuse of a Ford emissions computer. It can be bypassed with a boost in power and a lowering in emissions at the tailpipe. This has been proven many times. Tune a 258 right and it is a really clean burning engine.

You have to watch out for some areas of the planet like California where you have to use a stock powerplant with all the stock emissions. If so, you need a working emissions computer to go with the engine. No real big deal, just 25% less power and gas mileage for your smog controls...

Mike

Mike Romain

If I lived in California I would go propane.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Breathing or drinking?

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

Bret Ludwig wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Thanks for the input. Will the rears still be used. If I use the 6cyl motor and trans and shafts? I read that the pinion angle must be changed. i want to keep the 411's

Reply to
Big Don

Yes, you can get shims at most suspension shops to adjust the pinion angle if needed.

Mike

Big D>

Reply to
Mike Romain