Need gears and/or rear end ?? HELP !!

I have an old ('84) CJ-7 that has mostly stock suspension .. .. only mod is a single add-a-leaf on all fours. It has a mildly built 350 small-block Chev. and a Tremac T-176 4 speed. It currently has 2.73:1 gears and 33X12.5R-15 BFG's. The effective gear ratio calculates to something like 1.92:1 .. .. not good. Since swapping gears means changing carriers also, it's getting kinda expensive to go that route, so I'm trying to look at all my options here. Anybody want to toss out ideas as to what they would do with this setup if it were theirs ?? ?? ?? I'm thinking 3.90:1 up to 4.10:1 ratio, preferably posi./limited slip. What fits ?? What's best ?? What's the best compromise ?? This thing is primarily (95%) street driven. I just want it to be able to go play when I feel like it !! !! !!

thanx .. .. ..

Reply to
Anonymous

I would do a Detroit Softlocker in the rear (they don't make the limited slip Tuetrac for the AMC 20) and an open front with at least 4.10 or better yet 4.56 gears. Your going to have to buy carriers anyway.

Reply to
JimG

With a 350 and 33's, he will destroy an AMC 20. Upgrade it to a D44 and get

4.56's.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Ah, for some reason I saw AMC 20, thought Dana 35, and typed AMC 20. Open mouth, insert foot.

I still say 4.56's.

Carl

Reply to
Carl

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I was once right where you are now. I have a 360 in my CJ-7 and wanted lower gears but didn't want ridiculously high RPM's at 60-70 mph. Most folks around here advocate really low gears (4.56 or lower), but they tend to have 4 or 6 cylinder engines and/or do rock crawling out west. Since you spend a lot of time on the road, you need to choose a gear ratio that will give you acceptable RPM's at highway speed. I personally couldn't stand to have my V-8 screaming at 3000+ RPM just to run 60 mph down the road. You have plenty of power with a CSB 350 to go with slightly taller gears (3.73 - 4.10) and thus have lower RPM's at highway speeds, and still have decent passing power. That said, however, the ability to go slower is a big, big plus off road, and so choosing lower gears (4.56 - 4.88) will make your machine more capable off road. You can go to the Novak website

and calculate RPM's at different speeds (on road) as well as speed at different RPM's (off road) and choose the gear ratio that is the best compromise to satisfy you. In case you don't know, the T-176 first gear ratio is 3.52, and you probably have a Dana 300 which is 2.62 in low range. For accuracy, you'll want to know your actual tire diameter, not just what it says on the sidewall. BFG's are typically shorter than advertised. The cold hard truth is that it's expensive to re-gear. The trick here is to save your pennies up and do it right the first time and be done with it. Hope this helps. Good luck. Oh, and if you just wanted a gear ratio suggestion rather than all this wordiness, I say go with 4.10's. I've got 4.10's with 35" BFG's (which are really only about 33.5" tall) and love it. TrailMarker.

Reply to
TrailMarker

Another possibility is a wide ratio truck transmission with a really low first gear. This may be cheaper than regearing in many cases. Remembering the four speed stake body Chevy C-30 I learned to drive on, this is not a race car option, but you will get used to it.

Earle

***
Reply to
Earle Horton