O4 TJ Tranny Vent

Well, last weeks tropical storm raised some cane in southern MD. I had to work 20 hours last Friday and all day Saturday & Sunday for clean up.

Friday night many of the roads were flooded and I got to do some TJ canoeing glad I drove my TJ to work. Had to cut through fields due to down trees and power lines too other wise I would not been able to get home.

The short of it is that the tranny vent went under water no biggy had the tranny fluid on the shelf drained flushed and good to go. I will be extending the vent to the top rear of the engine compartment. Rather than use the method that has been posted which requires removal of the OEM vent and gluing in a plastic elbow. I am popping off the top of the vent cap and then installing a 1/2" hose w/clamps and reducer to 3/8" tubing. Then I will be taking a piece of 3/8" copper tubing cutting 4 notches in it to allow for the tranny to breath and soldering a 1/2" cap on top of the tubing to create a bonnet preventing water from entering.

It just seems easier and a good alternative to what has been posted in the past.

Reply to
Coasty

Yes, sometimes I wonder why the 4x4 magazines think everyone has a fully equipped machine shop in their basement and twenty thousands dollars worth of tools in their 6 bay garage..

Reply to
billy ray

I am only half that 26'x26' two bay garage 1TJ, 1WJ two Harleys and only 10k worth of tools. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

It's to make the reader think that it is true, so he will try to play catch up, and make the advertisers rich. All the magazines do that. If you guys saw what my garage was like, you would think yourselves so far ahead, you wouldn't be moved to buy anything for at least a year.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It took me 30 years to build my shop and when I see the nice purdy organized and neat shops I say there is a shop that is not loved. No grease on the wrenches rubber matted floor cleaner than my house it just is not right. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Too bad you couldn't get a fitting to slip over the stub and glue it with something like JB Weld.

My button vent just pulled out and a piece of 5/16 steel gas line fit the hole perfect. I had to tap it in and I used JB Weld just for good measure. I then had a nipple for some flexible transmission cooler line I used for all the vents.

I just made a cane handle shape where I terminated them so the openings are pointed down. Been good for 6 years.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

No, I have the dregs of a wood and plumbing shop in the basement.

I used to have a nice enough tool collection until one of my neighbors, when I lived in the ghetto, broke in and stole most of them.

Reply to
billy ray