Diff Oil escaping vent tube

Just as it started to get cold I noticed that gear oil is coming out the top of the vent tube. It has been enough to cover my mud flap, and leave a 6" circle on the driveway floor. Any ideas why this would be happening now? Approx 8 months ago I changed the fluid when I replace axle seals, nothing has leaked out since then.

This is on a 83 CJ7, AMC 20 axle, one piece axle shafts.

Reply to
Rusted

That usually only happens to me after I have filled the diff with water... Cross any rivers or mud holes lately?

Other than that it would maybe have to be boiling hot to send bubbles up the vent tube. That would have to be really cooking though. Have any smell or noise?

I think I would be checking it after a drive for heat and for sure opening the fill plug to see if it's full of water. The gear oil floats on top.

Mike

Rusted wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

No water crossings, and no mud that would have even got the top of the axle dirty. When I get home from work ( I have been driving the freeway home) I will crawl under to make sure nothing is hot. Also the vent hose is still tucked up high, the same level as the gas cap.

Reply to
Rusted

The vent house comes up as high as the fuel cap.

Reply to
Rusted

It has been a few days since a leak, but it did it again tonight. The pumpkin was barely warm, just a little warmer than the cold ground and not nearly hot enough to make me thing that something was boiling inside. The tubes were cold all the way across. Any more ideas?

Reply to
Rusted

I would be opening the fill plug to see what the fluid level is inside. Maybe it was topped up when tilted on an angle so there is too much in there? Checking it would sure tell you if it somehow got water and if it is just too full, it needs lowering anyway.

Mike

Rusted wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain