Off Road!

I finally took Clementine offroad! Really fun! Hubby made me put her in 4L but it was a 4H trail. Made one heck of a noise going into gear...that was the scaryest part! I sure like the short wheel base for going over steep thingies:^) I'm disappointed tho, the Amber Fire color doesn't show mud!

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

That scary sound is the transfer case telling you to come to a near stop before dropping to low. Damage! I find mine goes into low best when at a dead stop with the transmission in neutral.

Steve

Seahag wrote:

Reply to
Steve

The LO Range gears are not syncronized, so you should be moving slowly, walking speed is usually good, when going into 4LO. Coming out of 4LO into

4HI is a bit easier and can be done without stopping, but the gears will still grind.

Usually, you'll be tooling along in 4HI and get stuck on a rock or something, and for any number of reasons you might decide to use 4LO, but because you are now stopped you may find that the gears collide and the shifter won't move into 4LO very easily. If this happens, you can let the clutch out so the gears turn a bit, then push the clutch back in as you pull the lever into 4LO. The vehicle may jump a bit, so be sure there isn't anybody standing near the tires. Once you get 4LO selected, then you can proceed in the apporpriate manner.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I was trying to go dead slow, the manual sez 2 to 3 mph, but I guess I was going too fast.

Seahag

"Steve" wrote:

Reply to
Seahag

I think part of my problem was that the manual mentioned something about not stopping in Neurtal while you shift to

4LO. So I just kinda grabbed the handle and went for it! It didn't grind badly, just surprised me not having done it before. Thanks for the tips, just wish it was something I could practice! Seems there are very few ORV trails in Maryland.

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

The reason you don't want to stop is because the gears grind.

The gears grind because there are no synch rings, and because there are no synch rings AND the gears are relatively fat, they can strike on edge if they are not moving. You won't hurt anything if you shift into LO while at a standing stop, but if the gears strike each other on edge and the lever won't physically move into position. The recovery from this is to let the clutch out partially while moving the lever at the same time, the gears will move out of each other's way, and the lever will slip into position. I have found that I need to do this while the transmission is in gear, not Neutral. If you are moving when you shift into LO, then the gears will also slip into position, but they will grind first.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Oh no! Not "real Jeepers"! ;^)

Seahag

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@cox.net...

Reply to
Seahag

Thanks, that clears up some of the mystery!

Seahag

Reply to
Seahag

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

It was a nasty job, but someone had to do it!

Seahag

"L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Seahag