Part time 4WD: off pavement only??

Hi,

Is the part time 4WD, as found on my 95 Cherokee Sport, for OFF pavement only or can it be used ON pavement ??

Sorry, but I have no specifics on what transfer case it has, or what axles (But I do know it has tires that are 2 sizes too big) :(

Otherwise, it has the H.O. 4 Liter and a 3 speed Auto. Oh, and it has the premium *Jensen* sound system! (LAFF!) ;-)

It's got great acceleration, and a good exhaust note when flooring it! At the expense of 14 MPG though :/

TIA

noneyabusiness

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Huh? What kind of 3 speed did you put in it, and why? The AW4 is excellent and you'd be getting near 20 mpg.

Reply to
Clap Trap

I think he is going by what the shifter has printed on it 1-2,3,D,N,R,P Not realizing that the 1-2 selection = first gear with auto shift too second.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

I use both of my 'part time' 4wd systems on pavement. When it has a covering of snow or ice that is!

I use the part time 4 wd high range just like any other shift up here in Canada. When I see a patch of snow or slush or ice coming, I just shift into 4x4 and keep on going. When I get back on clear pavement, I just shift back to 2 WD. I also prefer 2 wd at slushy intersections if I am making a left turn. Finish the turn and I drop back to 4x4.

4 high (part time) can be shifted into and out of at any legal speed. 4 low can only be shifted into when stopped or moving 1-2 mph.

Like others have mentioned, the tires need to slip in corners when in part time 4x4 so using it on dry pavement is asking for something like a u-joint or worse to break. Even rain is not 'really' slippery enough, unless it is at freezing.

I also think your gas mileage is 'way' off. This is likely due to the oversized tires giving you incorrect speedometer readings. The larger tires travel farther every revolution than the speedometer thinks. I use a GPS to check my 'real' speed with the dash speed. We get over 24 mpg in our Cherokee on the highway with about 18 combined city/highway.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
Clap Trap

Um, ...what Snow said ... ;-) But I get nowhere near 20 mpg :( (..."AW4" ??)

noneyabusiness

Thanks. It's what I thought, but someone was *sure* it was OK to do. ...

Reply to
noneyabusiness
[snip]

Um, which also means..I'm traveling ...FASTER? than the speedo say I am... right? (And what's with these 85 MPH speedo's ? ...BAH!) ;-)

noneyabusiness

That's right, watch for speed traps, the cops don't care if you only 'think' you are doing 68 mph as they clock you zipping along at 75....

What size are the tires? When we went to P235x75's on our 88 Cherokee, the GPS says the speedometer gear is exact for them. I was a bit surprised because they are one size larger than any the factory chart says they put on them.

I lucked out on my CJ7. Someone had changed the gear or t-case. The speedo was low when I got it with 31's on it. I went to 33's and the speedometer is now right on.

Mike

n>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III
< Except, no manufacturer has designed one without seriously effecting the strength of their transfer. Of course none of the Real all gear transfers would have one, they're designed for men>

Not quite so. Perhaps not the correct place to mention it given the name of the list but... Land Rovers LT230 transfercase has proven pretty well bullet proof and has a locking centre diff with full time 4x4. Yes this is an all gear job ;)

John

Reply to
Mr Muddy

But, does it have a 'full time' mode with a coupler?

My Dana 300 T-case is pretty much bullet proof!

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Aug./05
Mike Romain

Select-Trac

2Hi, 4Hi Part Time, 4Hi Full Time, Neutral, 4Lo
Billy Ray

Actually, on the first full tank of gas (I'm only on the second!) I was *trying* to go easy on the throttle most of the time, BUT, I had the A/C on 80% of the time. This was also mostly street and very little highway.

(And again I ask: what's "AW4"??) (From someone else's reply.)

noneyabusiness

What a coincidence! The Cherokee came with 235/75 15 tires. (Wrangler RT/S, btw) These rub at full steering lock so I have to be careful when making a tight turn.

The plate on the door jam says the stock size is 215/75 15. ...any idea where I can find out how much taller my tires are?

TIA

[snip]
Reply to
noneyabusiness

The AW4 (Asian Warner) 4 speed automatic transmission with overdrive.

You should be able to average 20 mpg in general (mixed) driving, that is what I got with my 2000 XJ

Send me a note if you want more information (remove the SPAM)

Reply to
Billy Ray
215-75x15 235-75x15 Sidewall 6.3 in 6.9 in Radius 13.8 in 14.4 in Diameter 27.7 in 28.9 in Circumference 87 in 90.7 in Revs/Mile 728.0 698.0

28.9" - 27.7" = 1.2" taller / 2 = 0.6" additional ground clearance.

Are your tires rubbing on the inner or outer fenders?

PS

Billy Ray