Part time 4WD: off pavement only??

Ditto that. Mine came stock with 225x75R15s. I was happy cause I was getting 19 in town and 24 on the highway. When they wore out, I went up to 235x75R15s. Mileage dropped to 17/20. That seemed like a huge drop for just one tire size so I checked it with GPS. The speedo was right on for the bigger tires. Sounds like they pulled the wool over the EPA eyes by not running the proper speedo gear for the factory tire size. I get no rubbing at all with that tire size ('99 XJ).

Anyway, regarding the AC comment I saw on one of the posts. My AC is on all the time. In the 5 years I've owned it, the AC has only been off once when I wanted to see if it made a mileage difference. It didn't. So, the AC went back on and has been on continuously ever since.

Reply to
Clap Trap

Afaik, they use a more precise method of measuring mileage for window sticker results. Actual distance, premeasured track, something like that.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

IIRC, 5 different locations in the US, hot, cold, hi, low etc, and average that out to get the EPA mileage.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Our plate inside the glove box goes up to 225's. Our 235's do rub when cutting the wheel one way only. It isn't bad enough that I bothered with the adjustment bolt.

You do have steering stop adjustment bolts. They are behind the knuckles and can be adjusted so the tire doesn't tag at full turn. These bolts have a nut usually welded on them as a stop. They just unbolt, nut and all and you put one or maybe two washers under the nut, then put it back in. It is an easy fix.

We also have checked our gas mileage in town. My wife works close enough that heat just barely starts out the defrost by the time se gets there, so the most travel is in 'choke' or cold running mode. We get just over 14 mpg doing that.

And just a note for you. We noticed a large loss in winter traction when we went up to the larger tire. They were both AT's. It is a bit too wide for the best snow footprint on our 88 Cherokee, the narrower

225's grabbed better.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Aug./05
Mike Romain

Pull down your driver side sunvisor and read the explanation that's printed there. Otherwise known as RTFSV :)

Steve

n> Hi,

Reply to
Stephen R. Conrad

YES, IT IS FOR OFF-PAVEMENT ONLY. That's O-N-L-Y.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Nothing on the Effing Sun Visors to Read. ;-)

Reply to
noneyabusiness

I'm pretty sure it's the inner, but I haven't checked it out yet I'm heading out in a bit and will look then.

Cool site! Will have to add myself later.

noneyabusiness

Thanks! I'll look into that.

I'm in Sunny Southern California, so snow isn't an issue. (Until I make my first trip up into the mountains that is .)

noneyabusiness

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

At the risk of pissing you off, the Gelandewagen came standard with 3 gear locking differentials. Yes, I know it was more expensive than a Jeep.

Dave Milne