Rock Crawler or Web Poser?

These things I have learned:

It is good to have big damn wheels.

It is good to have big stinking axles and diffs to swing them.

It is good to install a thumb throttle; either that or grow a third foot.

It is good to have mongo articulation.

It is stupid to go four wheeling with no bump stops. The ride is jarring and the shock absorbers aren't happy about it either.

It would be smart to check the full range of articulation and then grind away corners of U-bolt plates BEFORE 4 wheeling so one does not trash the cans of a pair of brand new Rancho shocks. (Or install 'em cans up next time?)

Photos of my first tentative offroad test drive(s), post mods.

Hey Nathan! Rocks can be for posers, too! ;-)

Reply to
Cal Wheeler

I love the "cline-o-meter" on the dash! LOL I think you could have stuffed the right front about 1/64" before taking out the flare hehehe. Nice pic's!

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

LOL I trashed three shocks in a similar way. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Doesn't everybody install the shocks with the cans up? Mine are on that way. For the record, at least one can is smashed, so this strategy is not all that effective.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Cal has an inclinometer?!?! Oh man, it is killing me to bite my tounge on this one... ;-)

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

You did say you were going to put up some pix of *your* rig, didn't you? Ask your mom if you can put some pix of it up on a website!

Reply to
Cal Wheeler

I'd seen various discussions about which way to orient 'em to access or protect the adjustment dial.

Screwed either way, I guess.

I'll bet somebody somewhere sells $150 shock armor to protect people's $90 shocks...

Reply to
Cal Wheeler

Skid plates for the shocks. Hmmm ...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

I read once that some shocks, especially mono tube ones cant be installed upside down. They are valved differently for compression vs extension. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

The Edelbrock and other inertial sensitive types pretty much just fail to work as designed when upside down. Not that the Edelbrock IAS is a particularly good rock crawler in the first place...more appropriate for a trailcruiser like the GC's.

Approximately 10/9/03 07:48, Kevin in San Diego uttered for posterity:

Reply to
Lon Stowell

The canary is still chirping, we might be alright...

-Brian

: > >>I love the "cline-o-meter" on the dash! LOL : > >

: > >

: > >

: > > Cal has an incli/*trollbait snipped*. : >

: >

: > You did say you were going to put up some pix of *your* rig, didn't you? : > Ask your mom if you can put some pix of it up on a website! : >

: >

: :

Reply to
Cherokee-LTD

Oh, like, if you turn it upside down, then it's actually compressing when it thinks it's extending? :) __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

Stolen from Monroes web site:

Q: Can shock absorbers be mounted upside down (rod end down) and still function properly? A. Most modern shock absorbers utilize a twin (dual) tube construction; in order to work properly the inner of the two tubes (working chamber) should stay completely filled with oil. The outer (reserve) tube contains an oil reserve along with air or a pressurized gas. If the unit is mounted inverted (rod side down), the air or gas in the outer chamber can enter the inner working chamber, resulting in poor damping performance. Therefore, twin tube shock absorbers should not be mounted upside down (or on their side), with the exception of specially designed units that incorporate a gas cell, or cellular gas material, designed to keep the gas retained in the outer reserve tube.

Thats what I read. Now I remember since I found it again. But then again, what do they know, they only make shocks. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Actually, I never said that, as I don't have a web site. I might put one up eventually, but on my list of important things to do in this lifetime, "Satisfying Cal Wheeler's curiosity" does not rank in the top 10,000, so you'll just have to be patient.

And can we please get off of moms. After all, I just got off of yours. :-)

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

Joshua Nelson did pass the time by typing:

alt.binaries.pictures.autos.4x4

:)

Reply to
DougW

huh??

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

That is the newsgroup we post photos at.

It is pretty much an empty group.

I have a couple shots up there from some of our RAMJ+W newsgroup runs up there right now.

Mike

Joshua Nels>

Reply to
Mike Romain