Shacklelift YJ ?

Im thinking on shacklelift 1 1/4", how will this affect the jeeps handlin on the road, its a everyday driver. As u know its a cheap lift and rather easy to do yourself, right?

Reply to
Tommy

don't do it

changes the handling and geometry of the axles and caster

Reply to
Jeepers

does a 1 3/4" lift really have any notisable affect on the Jeeps handling on the road ? I will also get a set of 31x10.50x15 MT-tires on 15x10 rims.

"Jeepers" skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

Reply to
Tommy

Reply to
twaldron

should be 1 1/4"..

"Tommy" skrev i meddelandet news:ccf2nk$ldv$ snipped-for-privacy@green.tninet.se...

Reply to
Tommy

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Yes. It will change the caster angle making the Jeep seem twitchy. A Jeep should NOT be twitchy at 70 miles per hour.

It will also change the driveline angle between the transfer case output shaft and the input shafts, causing vibration and premature wear to the U joints.

That's the problem with wanting big tires under a Jeep - geometry changes. You need to put a proper lift under it.

I removed the shackles that came on my wife's YJ, as well as the 31 x10s, because of the steering and vibration. Google up "Jeepers" in this group, and you can see what I went through. Not to mention the tires stick WAY out past the fenders (legal problem in some places) causing every bit of mud or dirty water to splash up on the sides and softtop. If you EVER want a clean Jeep, wide tires and wheels will ruin it for you, it will ALWAYS be dirty. Besides, those tires sticking out require even MORE lift, because they will now rub your fenders because they aren't tucked into the fenderwells anymore. Been there, done that, have the T-Shirt to prove it.

Her Jeep handles TONS better in the stock configuration. If you really want those big tires, get a proper lift and a tailshaft conversion for the transfer case. Otherwise you WILL need shims for the leafsprings to counteract the crappy little lift you'll get from shackles. By the time you did all this you could have had a fair lift kit put on.

Reply to
Jeepers

Just do it.... I've had a shackle lift forever, and then I put on a regular spring lift on top of it! You'll like the flex they give you but your springs will wear a bit faster. You might need longer shocks. You'll be agrivated though at banging them into stuff on the trail. Ya, your jeep will handle a bit differently but you'll get used to it. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Ok, history is.....

93yj 2.5 manual. Bought it used in 98 with 31's and a shackle lift - open diffs Flexed like crazy and did good offroad but I earned the nickname 'bonzi nick'... dirived from the techinique I used to overcome the open diffs. Steering was a little funky and loose. Finally installed (the first for a yj, I was test vehicle) ox locker in front diff and holy smokes the difference it made... Eventually, springs sagged to much, started braking shock mounts... Bought a used lift from a club member... 4" springs, tc drop, disco's, 4? degree wedgess for rear axle, tossed the rear track bar, and adjustable rancho shocks. Left my shackle lift on it also. No vibration issues and relocated my brake lines. The lift is sweet! It rides great on and offroad. Doesn't flex as much as I would like. In the future I would like to take out one of the new springs in each pack and throw in a spring from my old sagging springs. Does damn good offroad, especially with the new lift and the ox locker. (1 month ago) Remember my posts about the no-slip in the rear??? Got it in so now I'm locked front and rear. I just aim my jeep and go.... I've never broken anything but rear shock mounts, despite beating the crap out of it. I think d.c. was having a good production day when mine came off the line.

Now, I know all the issues concerning my setup (it still works damn well..damn well...) Here's my plans if the $$$ comes

  1. new steering box.... badly needed at this point
  2. cv rear drive shaft and raise the tc back up
  3. terelow
  4. go spring over
  5. a new engine is gonna be needed soon

My point for the person asking about the shackles is that I've had them on since 98 and the issues I've had were some wandering, (which I think the majority is the seriously warn steering box) and also before I got lifted I would jam the shackles into rocks, treestumps etc... not a concern if it's a street jeep. The majority of drive time, the shackles have been of no concern.

Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Our 1993 YJ 2.5L had 31's and a shackle lift. It was just plain dangerous to drive, especially at highway speeds. I couldn't, in good conscience, let my wife and son use it. There was a three degree difference in caster between stock and the aftermarket shackles, which was significant enough that when replaced the driveability was nenewed completely. Off road there was no noticeable difference. The stock leafs are a joke, and I've never hit a shackle on anything other than bushes.

I sold the HD shackles on ebay and bought her some boomerang shackles, for the rear, and the same brand tow shackles up front.

Now my CJ is a COMPLETELY different story. Should have it started this weekend. Wish me luck.

Jeepers

Hm, I'll have to take one. I'll do that and get it to you soon. Nick

Reply to
Nick N

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III