Tire Balancing

Hi,

I'm getting tired of losing balancing weights every time I hit the trail. Considering these two products:

Any experience with either of these? I'm leaning toward the 'Counteract' beads because they aren't affected by moisture like the 'Equal' polymer powder is.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I'm sceptical. If these work so well why wouldn't auto manufacturers just install these to begin with? There mnust be a down side...

-Fred W

Reply to
Fred W.

I'm skeptical too, but willing to try something different. Anyone else out there have problems with mashed weights after romping on the rocks? I've got 10.5" wide tires on 15x7 alloy rims. Any tricks to protecting the weights? I use marks and a note pad to record which weights are where, and I can sometimes just replace any missing ones to get back to balance, but if I chunk a lug or if the tire slips on the bead, its back to the $pin balancer to cure the shakes.

Maybe because lead weights hang on just fine for the 99.999% of wheels that never go off road.

Well, the old trucker's trick of putting some golf balls inside has its pitfalls:

The bead and powder products both claim no damage to inside of tires, but I can't find any independent verification of that claim. Both also recommend a longer valve core or valve filter to prevent clogging - a minor downside. The powder is more prone to clog valves and will clump if it gets moist, so I think I'll try the beads unless someone tells me I'm nuts.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Either that or you can just drive slow, below 50 or really fast above 65 where the misbalance doesn't shake your money-maker. Kind of brings new meaning to the Sammy Hagar lyrics: "I - Can't - Drive - Fifty-five"!

-Fred W

BTW - sceptical and skeptical are both correct according to Merriam...

Reply to
Fred W.

Last time I bought tires at an off=road place, they balanced the tires with strips of lead that were double-sided-taped to the the [hard to describe, easy to see] 'inside of the rim, and I don't mean inside the tire'.

The would not get hit by rocks in this location, but one did fall off my spare since it was not stuck hard enough by the shop, and was not seated by centripetal force while driving.

Alas, the next time I had a tire mounted on one of those rims the regular shop din't see them, so balanced the tire with the "clip on"'s to partially offset the weights that were already there.

The solution I've found is to just pay once to get them balanced by walmart, since then they are lifetime garanteed for rebalancing. Loose a weight, go shopping at the nearest walmart for an hour or so...

alan

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Alan