Tire Pressure?? 90 Cherokee LTD

I'm more than a bit confused about my man. rec. tire pressures. The driver's door says 33psi F&R. The owner's manual says 30psi F&R. The front glovebox has an additional sticker specifically for a Limited - it states 30/35psi F/R. I know these pressures don't make a lot of difference anyway, but I was curious why the LTD would specify different F/R pressures. Is it because the LTD has a rear antisway bar? Shouldn't the pressures be equal F/R with SelectTrac? It certainly seems to ride less harshly with the front at

30psi., but I assume it won't help my mileage much!
Reply to
Dana Rohleder

My interpretation of 30/35 psi F/R ... pressures F and R should be equal, and should be no less than 30 psi and no greater than 35 psi. Regular tires (touring, all season etc) can (should) be inflated an additional 2 or 3 psi or so above the normal 33 or so psi for highway speeds say on trips or if yer a highway driver to reduce heat. So, for day to day slow speed no less than 30 or so psi and for constant higher speed say highway driving no more than 35 or so psi ... + or - :-)

Reply to
Bowgus

No, it states 30psi front, 35psi rear, I just wrote it in a half-assed shorthand.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Put em at 33 and be happy.

Carl

Reply to
Carl Saiyed

All the manuals and stickers on the Jeep are just guides. What you really need to do is find out how your specific tires meet the road. Too much air and they wear at the center, too little and they wear at the edges. Its very simple really. There are various tricks to do this including chalk on the tire and seeing where it wears off. My bigger tires with stiffer sidewalls seem happy at 28 or so. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Ok, well ... I'd say it's a mistake.

Reply to
Bowgus

We run 30 in ours except when carrying a load then we bump up the front to 32 and the rear at least to 32+.

I can't say I notice much mileage difference, we do it for the stability.

Mike

Dana Rohleder wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

That is for carrying a load. The more weight, the more air you put in the rear tires up to the maximum allowed which is printed on the sidewall of the tire.

I have had loads on where I had to max out the pressure or I would have been driving on the sidewall.

Mike

Dana Rohleder wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I run 30 to 35 psi in both front and rear on my 93 XJ and the same on the wifeys 93 ZJ, the only time I run higher pressures is as others have said hauling a load or when I put the snow tires on which have the pressure range stamped in the sidewall (35 to 45 psi) I generally run about 40 with these.

You may have a few stickers stating different pressures due to labelling errors that occurred at the factory, IIRC there was actually re-calls for having the incorrect tire pressures on the door jamb (glove box) stickers.

At least they didn't do what ford did with the explorer, and tell everyone to run the tires at 26 psi to reduce body roll and increase the stability... even after firestone told ford that tire failure would result. I know 4 people who are still running those firestone wilderness tires on their explorers, at a more suitable pressure of 30-33 psi, with no problems.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow

Now that you mention it, there is a light, penciled-in X over the sticker in the glovebox. It certainly didn't look too official like it was done in a recall, but I'll check into it to see if it was involved in a recall for that. It doesn't come up as an outstanding recall on the vehicle, but perhaps it was carried out by an underachiever, which I am seeing a lot of with Jeep in my experience. Thanks.

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

The other day I sent this message to Daimler-Chrysler along with my VIN:

This was their reply:

"Dear Dana,

Thank you for your recent email to DaimlerChrysler Motors regarding your

1990 Jeep Cherokee.

The recommended tire pressures for your vehicle are based on the original tires that were equipped with your vehicle (P225/75R16 BSW On/Off Road Tires). Since you currently have different sized tires on the vehicle, we recommend you contact the tire manufacturer for proper inflation guidelines.

Thank you again for your email." SNIP

16" rims in 1990?? I sent the following message to clarify:

To my knowledge, these vehicles were not available with 16" rims in 1990. I am running standard, factory equipped 15" rims, which came on all Cherokees. If indeed the vehicle came with 16" rims from the factory, shouldn't the recommended tire pressure for the tires you mention above (which must be a mistake) be posted conspicuously in one of the three places I mentioned previously? There is no signage indicating 16" rims.

My question is simply this - should the front & rear tires on a Limited be the same, as in other trim levels of Cherokees, or should they be higher in the rear than the front as is indicated on the glovebox sticker which is unique to the Limited trim model?

We'll see what the reply is!!

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Nah, English is too good. Have you noticed that our Indian call centre friends always seem to be called "John" or "Dave" etc. Since this is obviously a blatent lie, I tell them my name is "Raj" or "Balvinder" ...

Balvinder Navdeep Milne, Scotland '91 Grand Wagoneer, '99 TJ

Reply to
Dave Milne

I always start the call with "OK, what is your real name?" KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Last summer I was having a real problem with my Cincinnati (Ohio) Bell cell phone. When I called the help center I spoke to a delightful girl named Anya who graciously and expertly diagnosed and fixed the problem. During our conversation I asked where her family was from, noting her accent.

Anyway, Cincinnati Bell Wireless' Help Desk is located in Newfoundland Canada.

Reply to
BillyRay

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

And, of course the final, "logical" answer:

"Dear Dana,

Thank you for your recent email to DaimlerChrysler Motors Corporation.

Our records indicate your vehicle VIN XXX was equipped from the factory with P225/75R16 BSW On/Off Road Tires. We recommend using the tire pressure guidelines on the drivers door if there is a discrepancy from the Owner's Manual or glovebox." SNIP

Always believe the computer (which does show 16x6" Aluminum Chrome wheels on the build sheet). The fact that the vehicle came equipped and still sits on OEM 15" gold anodized "honeycomb" wheels, is immaterial. No wonder I saved myself a cool grand by ripping my car out of the dealer service department before they could do any more "diagnosis by replacement" at $65/hr. Mankind is doomed..........

Reply to
Dana Rohleder

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III