code 65. Power Steering Presure Switch

Engine Light came on a few weeks ago. Reports code 65. "High Pressure Seen At High Speed"

After some research, seems that this could be because of the pressure switch malfunctioning. If so, are replacements found at auto parts stores? Also, where is the switch located?

97 TJ Wrangler 2.5L Manual

Thanks, Reed

Reply to
odeneal

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Power Steering? I don't think so.

First, I am not aware that the poser steeringis monitored by the OBD II system. Second, I think the code is really, P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit Malfunction. I can't find a P0065 in my source, but Bill says it means a fuel delivery malfunction. Hig Pressure in this instance means fuel pressure, not power steering pressure.

P = Powertrain

0 = Generic (this is the digit zero -- not the letter "O") 0 = SAE Reserved

As you can see, the codes starting with P00 should be reserved codes and aren't likely to be used, or displayed in the flashing of the odometer or the Check Engine light. It might come up on the code reader tool, but I suspect not. My guess is that the reserved codes take specialized tools to get them out. So, I don't think you have a P0065, I think you have a P0650.

All of the P0600 codes are as follows, As you can see, they have to do with flakey operation of the computer itself, perhaps a bad ground ...

DTC Codes - P0600-P0699 - Computer Output Circuit

P0600 Serial Communication Link Malfunction P0601 Internal Control Module Memory Check Sum Error P0602 Control Module Programming Error P0603 Internal Control Module Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error P0604 Internal Control Module Random Access Memory (RAM) Error P0605 Internal Control Module Read Only Memory (ROM) Error P0606 PCM Processor Fault P0608 Control Module VSS Output "A' Malfunction P0609 Control Module VSS Output "B" Malfunction P0620 Generator Control Circuit Malfunction P0621 Generator Lamp "L" Control Circuit Malfunction P0622 Generator Field "F" Control Circuit Malfunction P0650 Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Control Circuit Malfunction P0654 Engine RPM Output Circuit Malfunction P0655 Engine Hot Lamp Output Control Circuit Malfunction P0656 Fuel Level Output Circuit Malfunction

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

i will get a code reader and get the actual code. I used the key-on-key-off x 3 mode to get the codes. They read 12, 65, 55. in that order. I am experiencing a problem with the idle as well, so perhaps it is something to do with the fuelsystem?

thanks reed

Reply to
odeneal

Well, P0065 would support your feeling that the fuel system was haywire, but as I said earlier, P00 is a Reserved Code Series.

If the actual code was as I suspect, P0650, then this would mean that the computer itself isn't happy with its role in life, and this could manifest itself as an idle problem.

I like the switching-the-key-on-and-off method of getting the codes out of an OBD I system, but if you have an OBD II vehicle, then the code reader is without a doubt the best way to get the codes.

I only have one vehicle that is OBD II, so I use the free tool program at AutoZone to use the reader, but if I had two or more OBD II cars, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a reader and keep it at home. We have a friend with an OBD II car, and my daughter has an OBD II car, if my brother in law buys a new car, or my wife gets one, or I get one, then I can justify getting a code reader and keeping it around. The sell them at AutoZone, and on eBay, and the brand they have has four different models with different price points, I get one from the mid-price. There are two in the middle, but I am not sure if the features of the more expensive one are worth the cost. I'd get the more expensive one if it did anything better than the cheaper stable mate, I wouldn't get the most expensive or the least expensive because I can't see me using the features of the most expensive, and the least expensive doesn't do what I want.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

according to this,

code 65 means "Power steering high pressure seen at high speed.(2.5L only)". Seeing as i have the 2.5L this is what originally made mesuspect the power steering pressure. ill swing by autozone after work and hit up the free OBDII code scanner tool. then i guess ill go from there.

Reply to
odeneal

OK, 65 means high pressure in the power steering.

I haven't a clue what that could mean. I would clear the codes then wait to see if it comes back. Then, I'd devise a corrective action plan.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
tim bur

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

ok just got home from AutoZone. the scanner gave me P0551. they had no clue what to do and told me to take it to the dealer(yuck) i really dont feel like paying an arm and a leg to haven the dealer replace a potentially cheap part that i might could do myself? anyone got ideas? help? i was thinking maybe the power steering switch is just bad, but where is it located and can i get a replacement?

thanks reed

Reply to
odeneal

Scott in Baltimore

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
tim bur

took a look at it last night. the electrical connector was coated in grease and ps fluid. is that normal? i took it off, cleaned it out and cleaned off the contacts and re-connected and reset the battery to clear the computer of the CE lamp. so far the light hasn't come back on after driving around this morning and last night. *crosses fingers*

Reply to
odeneal

Some greases are electrical conductors and might lead to an electrical short.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Reply to
tim bur