Today's trip to the dealership

We went to the Jeep dealership today to talk about buying an Unlimited. Wife has had Jeeps for years and wants the 4-door version now since we sold her Wrangler yesterday.

I've been friends with the sales manager there for years. He said business in very slow and they have cut back on their inventory. He said he has talked with other dealers in the area and they are all feeling the pain. Most of the dealers he has spoken with are not ordering hardly any 2009 models since they are not getting any help from Chrysler to move the 2008's.

I was reading one of the trade mags while I was there and it said Chrysler is up for sale and the investors want out now.

These guys at Chrysler have no idea how to run a car business. They need incentives and given the state of the economy, we're not buying another Jeep without some incentives.

You have to wonder what the long term survival possibilities are for Chrysler and Jeep in particular.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Usenet User

Meaningful "incentive" would be another 5-10 mpg. Whatever possessed you to sell your existing Wrangler? Chrysler has always had a very high opinion of their own products. Compared with domestic offerings, this has not been without reason. Given that this is the only 4wd suv line with a removable top, waiting for incentives may not be the best choice. The local Honda dealer sent me a card offering a 2008 C-RV for invoice plus $1.00. Got me thinking, but it doesn't have a removable top.

Four door Wranglers should be hitting the used car lots any day now, "in this market".

Cheers,

Earle

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton

Funny thing, today when I drove past the local dealership, it said "0% -

72mos" Don't know what's going on in YOUR neck of the woods.

K.

[...]

Kate

What's going on in my neck of the woods, is that fuel economy of the vehicles they have to offer does not meet my requirements. Possible trade-ins are a 1999 Honda Civic in excellent condition and a 1995 Jeep YJ Wrangler, also in excellent condition. I do need some more cargo carrying capacity, but the trailer shopping I am doing now should take care of that. (:oþ

0% for 72 months is not a bad deal, but you are not going to get that with $1.00 over invoice at the same time. What we are talking about here, is 0% for 72 months for MSRP. What a deal. I can go like ten more years on the vehicles I have right now. If your trade-in is a Tahoe, maybe you'll be more willing to deal than I am. In that case I advise you to go for it. Like the Volvo salesman told me Saturday, maybe if you drive it just right you can get 5 mpg more than the window sticker says. I wouldn't bet on that.

Cheers,

Earle P.S. "þ" is "thorn", the Icelandic letter that stands for the "th" sound in "think". It is "right Alt-t" on the United States International keyboard. One thing about being retired, you have to learn to type with an adult cat seated on your right forearm. He's a big bastard too.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Earle Horton
[...]

Oh! You didnt' think *I* was shopping for a new Jeep... did you?? No way! I've still got too many things I want to do to and WITH this one LOL

Nope, I love my little 10.5 mpg guzzle gut, not getting rid of it till I wear it out.

K.

[...]

DOH... I was laughing so hard at the cat remark, I hit the send button.

[...]

I figured that but my post was for general information. Especially the cat thing.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Usenet User

Well THAT bites!

Just out of curiosity, did you pull in and ask them? Tell them that the dealership in Lexington TN is offering it. Helms Motors.

K.

Kate wrote:

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Kate

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Usenet User

I honestly cannot tell you. It's just a sign sitting out there amongst the Wranglers. Google and email them, they can tell you!

Kate wrote:

** Posted from
**
Reply to