Transmission troubles

Hello again my helpful friends. My 93 Sahara 5 speed (120K miles) is really starting to have tranny problems. Here are it's symptoms: shifting is smooth in and out of gears until the engine and tranny warm up. After driving a few miles and coming to a complete stop,I find it impossible to get it into any gear from neutral position. Basically have to either grind it into reverse or turn the engine off, put into gear, and restart. Jeep is still driveable, but would be nice not to have to downshift every gear and keep it in gear at stop signs. I have had this Jeep for a year now and realized this problem was progressively becomming worse. I did change the trans fluid last month and used Redline MTL. Shifting has been noticablly smoother, but this "stuck in gear" problem has been worse. Any suggestions/ recommendations? Synchro gears going bad? Any inexpensive way to diagnose and fix?

Reply to
pauley

....sounds like a clutch problem to me.

...Gareth

Reply to
Gary Tateosian

You're describing the clutch is not releasing as Gary said. First refill it's reservoir with brake fluid and pump it up. Then see if there's any fluid leaking at it's push rod above it's peddle, or from the bottom of the bellhousing with that distinctive smell to determine which you have to replace, the master or the slave:

L.W.(ßill)

If you turn off the engine does it easily go into gear then? My 94 had a clutch that would "hang up" and not release all the way when warmed-up. Clutch master/slave were both fine. Solution was to remove tranny from engine and regrease the transmission input shaft.

Reply to
jdarg

Mine has a similar problem and the clutch is good(replaced 2 years ago). When it warms up the beast does not want to go into 1st so I end up putting it in 2nd or 3rd and getting the vehicle to roll a bit then it will drop into 1st no problem. I attribute the problem to a tired tranny and have been told by a transmission shop it is probably the syncro gears.

Reply to
Jeepster

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

ya..it's what my ex does when people ask her if she slept with me! :(

Reply to
SB

In news:Pgzoc.1113$ snipped-for-privacy@news04.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com, SB from was injured because:

Feel better after posting that?

Reply to
Joseph P

Thanks for all the input. I will investigate the clutch as Bill described this weekend. One other "symptom" I forgot to add was when it starts having the "stuck in neutral" problem, I come to a complete stop, have to almost fight it into reverse(that is the only gear it goes into when running), I have this feeling in the shifter like something is spinning in the trans and by grinding it in reverse, this stops it and allows to shift again??

Reply to
pauley

When it does this put the clutch pedal down to the floor, hold it there for

10-15 seconds, and then slowly go towards reverse - you may hit a sweet spot where it's not quite in R all the way but the gears are starting to mesh and it makes a light grinding sound that *keeps grinding* rather than slowing down then stopping when you barely have it in R. If it does this then the clutch isn't releasing all the way. I would really doubt trying to get into a gear from a dead stop is a bad synchro. Minor issues with the clutch not pulling off all the way will often exhibit themselves in only 1st. Worse cases will do it in 2nd/3rd (that's how mine was) so that you have to go into 4th or 5th before 1st/2nd/3rd to get it not do it.
Reply to
jdarg