Vacuum pressure on '86 2.8L --- TOTALLY STUMPED

I'M TOTALLY STUMPED with the vacuum output on 2.8L GM 6 in an XJ Cherokee

Kindly offer opinions on low vacuum output on 2.8L in '86 XJ Cherokee Engine has 3000 mi. - was a GM 'Johnson' rebuild' (longblock.) Compression is 130-150 psi (cold) Replaced intake manifold gasket 3 times. Ign. Timing at 12 deg BTDC (centrifugal adv. is full operative). Have swapped ign. module in dist w/ no change. No idle change with propane or WD40 along carb base or intake edges. Carb change makes NO diff. (have two vari-jet 2bbls). Best vacuum I can get at idle is 13-14 in. hg. vac. (steady reading - no apparent valve 'bounce' on the vac gauge) ... not enough vac to run EGR, barely enough to run distributor vac. advance .... or most of the 'topside' vac controlled emission controls are sloooow to react (driveability). I know I need at least 18"hg. vac to0 make the emission controls, etc. work ... cant get it. Brake booster is weak due to low vac. .... clamped vac hose to booster makes NO difference. Not enough vacuum to hold proper static level of gasoline in carb bowl (therefore stalls at hard left turn). Float valve NOT sticking, etc. All vacuum rubber lines and devices intact without leaks (?) .... can clamp down with pliers on lines without engine stutter (except pcv and carb bowl vac line). When PCV / Carb Bowl vac line is pinched only get

1/2" addtl. vacuum. The intake manifold isnt warped ( I've checked it 3 times now ... when replacing intake manifold gaskets.) Have not had good vacuum since I replaced with this engine.

(Anyone know if there should be an vac. orfice plate between PCV ( and carb. bowl) and intake manifold) What would be the volumetric vac. flow for the PCV ?

I'm totally out of ideas. Engine vac. is so low that Ive lost control of carb and Im depositing lots of carbon in the combustion chambers, fuel economy is off by 5-6 mpg.

Thanks for ANY input.

Reply to
Rich Hampel

This usually indicates some type of restriction in the exhaust system. I would check the converter and also make sure the muffler hasn't come apart inside.

Chris

L.W.(ßill)

You're still thinking backwards. Vacuum is low because it runs like shit. It doesn't run like shit because vacuum is low. You need to find out why it's running so bad . Is it a 2SE or E2SE carb? Have you checked cam timing?

You're wast>I'M TOTALLY STUMPED with the vacuum output on 2.8L GM 6 in an XJ

Reply to
bllsht

Its a @ 2SE (non-Kalyfornia)

Cam timing is Correct

Yup, I know (now) that chang> You're still thinking backwards. Vacuum is low because it runs like shit. It

Reply to
Rich Hampel

As someone else mentioned, a plugged up catalytic converter can cause your symptoms. It does happen, the guts can come loose blocking the passages.

The only way I know to test for it is to unhook the exhaust before the cat or at the manifold and see if the vacuum comes up.

Mike

Rich Hampel wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain did pass the time by typing:

You can put a pressure gauge in the O2 sensor hole and some of the old farts would say, real jeeps don't have catalytic converters. :)

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Good, that eliminates a problem with electronic controls.

If you say so....

Two or three posts have mentioned restricted exhaust now, and you haven't responded to them. Have you checked this? A *symptom* of plugged exhaust would be low vacuum. This would cause a couple of problems.

1) If you can't get the all of the burned gas out, you can't get a full charge of fuel/air in for the next cycle. 2) That vehicle is equipped with a back pressure EGR valve. Too much back pressure could cause too much EGR action. Too much exhaust gas in the combustion chamber displaces too much of the air and fuel needed for decent combustion.

Once again, have you checked for restricted exhaust?

Reply to
bllsht

Can you put a number on the expected or acceptable back pressure (pressure ahead of the cat) for the 4.0 and/or the 2.5? I've seen lots of talk about excessive back pressure, but just what constitutes excessive??

Reply to
Will Honea

Up here in Canada, an 86 does not need a cat to pass emissions. Well... I isn't 'looked' for on the visual test, but if it won't pass, then a cat might help it....

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Now you're making me go out in the cold to look. I'm having difficulty absorbing the idea that I have a vacuum in both manifolds - that makes the engine one big sink sucking both ways .

I would suspect that the PCV purge could easily be accomplished > Any pressure. There is actually a vacuum in the header, and many Hot

Reply to
Will Honea

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I don't have a number for it. I don't know if there is one. Most that I see are pretty obvious just by the symptoms. The marginal ones can be picked up using a vacuum gauge.

Reply to
bllsht