Washington DC Auto Show

I was at the Washington DC auto show this past week saw the new 2007 Wrangler. I was impressed with the overall design but when I confronted the representative with some question about the V-6 he skirted the issue. I asked why the change to the V-6? Well he stated that it is a cleaner engine and provides better gas mileage with more HP and a better overall engine for off roading. I ask, ok but the I-6 develops max torque at 1200 rpm and the v-6 at around 3200 rpm. So how is it better for off roading you need the torque at the low end not the high end. He said it is all in the gearing of the transmission and the front and rear differentials. I pointed out the new specifications as far as gearing were almost identical on the 2007 as to it's predecessors. A few others were also giving the guy a hard time too. I am just glad I have my 2004 TJ only tome will tell if the hardcore off roaders acept the new 2007.

Hey BIll, they had a 1944 Dodge WC-56 Command Car there it looks like it would be a fun toy, maybe DC should bring it back in the Jeep form.

Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Dear Coasty. I was also at the Washington Auto show this past thursday, and took part in the "Camp Jeep" which i highly enjoyed, even though i know it could have been a lot better, but i did not see the 2007 Wrangler. But it sounds like jeep is making the wrong decision in trying to "urbanize" the jeep wrangler, i don't think they understand most of thier jeeps are just for fun, not city life,, even though i do see a considerable amount of jeeps in the alexandria, NW washington area

-- paulakn

View this thread:

Send from

paulakn

At their introductions, there similar complaints about the YJ as well, styling, urbanizing the marque, etc, and theTJ with its tossing away leaf springs and car-like interior.

Won't be the first short wheelbase Jeep with a V-6...

You might also review the peak torque specs of the 4.0L:

Matt Macchiarolo

Yes I know what the torque values they are 235 ft.lbs at 3250 rpms and 190 hp at 4600 rpms your link chartis incorrect for newer I-6 engines, my point is that the guy who was supposed to be the expert did not. There were a bunch of other Jeep people there that had far more knowledge than I did and they were really busting the guys hump. Coasty

Reply to
Coasty

Look at these then

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Apparently the V6 in the Wrangler is not the same one as in the Liberty:

"Though many expected the venerable 4.0L inline-six to be replaced with the

3.7 SOHC 90-degree V-6 widely used in the Dakota and Liberty, the new Wrangler will have a version of the 60-degree, 3.8L pushrod V-6 out of the minivans. In the Jeep application, the engine produces 205 horsepower at 5,200 rpm, and 240 lbs./ft. of torque at 4,000 rpm, an increase of 15 horsepower and 5 lbs./ft., respectively."
Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Clerk at a show? Expert? Surely you MUST be joking...

Reply to
Bill Kearney