Water in Breather

Jeep 88 YJ Standard 4.2

Getting a fair quantity of water in breather. Pvc valve rattles, have changed oil and still getting water in breather. It is in the inner section of the air filter. Is it possible it could be coming from pulse air system, if so what is the cause and cure.

Any help would be deeply appreciated.

Reply to
jeepr

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Reply to
jeepr

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

Yes. You are getting condensation from the exhaust into the air cleaner. The pulse air valves are designed to allow air from the air cleaner into the exhaust system, but not let exhaust into the air cleaner. One or both of those valves have failed causing your problem.

Reply to
bllsht

Besides a possible failure in the pulse air system, I would be wanting to verify the PCV valve has suction. I would test for suction on a warm/hot engine at various throttle positions. On the last bunch of carb engines, they put a solenoid at the back of the carb to regulate the PCV flow and the charcoal canister flow. This was a bad part from the get go and the fix is to bypass it with a T fitting.

You could test the pulse air system by removing the hoses one at a time to see if the water stops. This would let you know which valve is bad if any. I don't know what the factory test is for those valves, but elimination sure would narrow it down. A wine cork will block the hole in the air filter.

Mike

Mike Romain