Peugeot 306 1.4 1998 breather hose broken?

On Saturday I found that the breather hose on the our Peugeot 306 1998/S

1.4l petrol engine had broken. It previously had been covered with insulation tape and was quite oily - however, when I changed the air filter I discovered it wasn't actually connected at all!

A picture of the hose (with break) is here:

Unfortunately I can't see a way of repairing it easily, so I wondered whether replacing it would be the best option. For now I've reattached the two pieces using 50mm masking tape! (It's all I had!)

Any idea what the symptoms would be with a broken breather hose? I've noticed the car is quite lumpy sometimes (runs fine, but can be a little even during idling etc). I noticed that the whole exhaust pipe moves significantly during idling, which probably is causing our regular failure of exhaust pipes (front box one year, rear the next). Just had the rear replaced when the middle rubber support snapped, and whole system dropped, punching pipe into otherwise perfect rear box).

So - is this a Peugeot only part? The hose has quick release connectors on both ends, so I'm wondering whether it's a Pug only part. I have a GSF Car Parts factor close to me (Farnham) or Peugeot Aldershot if necessary. Any idea of the cost? Any suggestions as to a suitable air-tight repair? It's quite oily, and not a flat surface (corrugated).

One final question - what is the actual name of the part I should be asking for, and what does it actually do?

Thanks

David Hearn

Hi if you were to slice (1)very carefully the old pipe you may find a rubber hose will fit in its place otherwise get a replacement pipe from peugeot or citroen tis the same thing and they do sometime run lumpy with it disconnected hth. (1) usal disclaimer applies !

Reply to
Tim-mz500r

A leaking PCV, which is between the AFS (or the MAP) and the combustion chambers, allows more air into the engine. The ECM receiving air mass information solely from the AFS (or the MAP) is fooled. Consequently at all times other than at part-throttle steady cruising engine speed (i.e. 90% of all driving experience, and where the OS *corrects* the inappropriate injector pulse duration by negative feedback in concert with the ECM) the car is running at a *leaner* air-fuel mixture than it should. At natural idle speed the response from the ECM, being geared to an air input from the ISCV, is again incorrect (too low) for the PCV inputs an additional quantity of air after the ISCV. This explains why "the car is quite lumpy sometimes (runs fine, but can be a little [rough? Have you missed a word here?] even during idling etc)"....

Self-Amalgamating Tape should provide a more air and water tight seal. This may be all you need.

Lin Chung

Duct tape at least temporarily. Then either a new pipe from Peugeot or go to a scrappies where an intact one will cost buttons.

Reply to
Malc

replying to Malc, Riky wrote: any suggestion where I can buy one online?

Reply to
Riky

Ho ho. Only 9 years after the last message.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+