Willys tailgate on a CJ7? ...

Question:

What's the dimensions of the tailgate opening in the old Willys Jeeps? Would the gate fit on a later model Jeep, say a CJ7?

The reason I'm asking is that I have an opportunity to get a Willys tailgate cheap. But I'm not sure if it will fit my CJ7. It's cross country so I can't measure it to be sure. And nobody nearby has an older Willys Jeep for me to take the measuring tape to.

A few differences in the hinge and side rails won't bother me. Just need to be sure the opening between the fenderwells is the same. I have been trying to find dimensions of the opening but to no avail.

ThanX for your reply! ... 'nnock

Reply to
... 'nnock

L.W.(ßill)

Well, you current gate hinges from the side, the Willys gate will hinge from the bottom. If you can get this detail ironed out, all you need to know is if it will fill the opening. If it is too small, then you will have a tough time, but if it is too large, tehn all you have to do is cut it down, and if you can manage the hinge issues, then the cutting should be right up your alley.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

It won't fit, and it won't be worth your time trying to make it fit. The CJ-7 gate has a different hinge design, different latches (rotating internal on the -7, pickup truck style external hook and chain on the early -5), the CJ-7 features a stepped lap for a weather seal, the -5 simply closes against the outside of the body. e-mail me directly and when my body comes back from the paint shop I can get you the exact measurements.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)