WJ: Swap from NV247 to NP242?

Howdy.

My '99 WJ Grand Cherokee, 4.7L Quadra Trak II NV247, won't drive its front wheels in 4HI. I found an NP242 from a '94 XJ Cherokee. Will it fit?

I'd rather have part time 4wd than spend the time fixing the full time unit.

Were there ever disconnect style front axles for WJs? Is there an aftermarket locking hub conversion?

Thanks!

Reply to
The Reverend Natural Light

Wrangler/Cherokees no longer have disconnect style front axles, as of 1996 or so. I think the manufacturer concluded the trouble to make them was more than the marginal fuel savings realized. Warn makes an aftermarket locking hub conversion for the Wrangler, it may fit your front axle if it is a D30. Otherwise, several axle upgrades are possible, but I don't think you need disconnect hubs.

As far as whether the NP242 will fit, I am afraid the only real test is a trial fit. The basic transmission to transfer case bolt pattern is probably the same, but other places you can go wrong are transmission output shaft length and spline count, transfer case length, and front and rear drive shaft fittings, mounts, speedometer drive... This does sound in principle like a reasonable upgrade.

Have you checked the Jeep Tech Pages?

Cheers,

Earle

** Posted from