WJ Teves Calipers Chronology

2000 WJ, 4 liter, 2WD, now with 105 K.

96 K: Replaced both front rotors, due to warped rotors - judder in steering wheel - but *never* smelled hot brake pads.

98K: Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive dragging (smells and vapor). Replaced *both* front Teves calipers.

104.7K: Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive dragging (smells and vapor smoke). Replaced left front brake line.

105K: Today - Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive dragging (smells and vapor smoke).

Stopped, let the caliper & rotor cool, and drove home (10 miles) with no further incident.

WTF!

Does this mean that I need to remove, lubricate the caliper/brake pad slide areas with Neverseize, every time I change the engine oil?

Anyone have a better fix?

Reply to
Ted Borck

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

They (DC) makes a kit to replace the Teves with Akebono units.

billy ray

In article , Ted Borck wrote: #96 K: Replaced both front rotors, due to warped rotors - judder in #steering wheel - but *never* smelled hot brake pads. Wow. You made it to 96K before they warped? Mine first warped at only 11.5K.

#98K: Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive dragging (smells #and vapor). Replaced *both* front Teves calipers. With what? Did you replace with Teves again, or Akebono? New or rebuilt?

#104.7K: Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive dragging #(smells and vapor smoke). Replaced left front brake line. # #105K: Today - Left front caliper (driver side) exhibited excessive #dragging (smells and vapor smoke). I think your piston boot(s) burned off. Did you see any glowing ash dropping from the calipers while they were smoking? Mine burned off when I got stuck in traffic. I could feel the heat from the wheel just standing next to it.

Pull off the pads from the calipers and check to see if the rubber around the pistons is still intact, if they are not, dirt will get into the resin pistons and the resulting damage will cause leaks. At the very least, replace the rubber boots on the Teves calipers.

#Does this mean that I need to remove, lubricate the caliper/brake pad #slide areas with Neverseize, every time I change the engine oil? # #Anyone have a better fix? Akebono upgrade...

/herb

Reply to
Herb Leong

It IS possible that your 'new' Teves caliper is bad. Can you do a warranty exchange? Also, I'd douse everything in brake cleaner prior to reassembly.

tw _____________________________________________________________________

2003 TJ Rubicon * 2001 XJ Sport * 1971 Bill Stroppe Baja Bronco

"There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'."

Pronunciation: 'jEp Function: noun Date: 1940

Etymology: from g. p. (G= 'Government' P= '80 inch wheelbase') A small general-purpose motor vehicle with 80" wheelbase, 1/4-ton capacity and four-wheel drive used by the U.S. army in World War II. _____________________________________________________________________

Ted Borck wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

It's possible - am going to remove the offending caliper, polish and Neverseize the slides.

It's disappointing that no-one has come up with a cause diagnosis other than replace parts. Which I did - but didn't prevent a re-occurance of the problem.

Is it possible that when I previously R&R'd brake pads (on the original calipers) that pressing the pads & pistons back - back back flushed some crap out of the calipers and back up into the metal brake line?

Reply to
Ted Borck

Do you own a torque wrench for the wheel lug nuts?

That's about the only other thing that causes warped rotors, except for the TSB that was mentioned that says the teves caliper is a POS and doesn't work, another brand is needed....

One gent got it done under warranty....

Mike

Mike Romain

It doesn't hurt a bit, to open the bleeder and waste the contents of the piston when replacing pads. Especially when the likely alternative is to force all that old fluid out the master cylinder and all over your (painted) inner fender.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to