XJ steps?

I have (OK my wife has) an 89 Cherokee that came with a 4 inch lift. She already loosened the tilt-wheel attachment bolts using the wheel to climb in. That's a bitch to fix! This isn't an offroader, just her snow car. I have priced steps, and decided I should just make some. After examining the underside of the vehicle it looks like an elaborate project to attach it so it will be strong enough, by my standards. It would require threaded inserts both in the semi-frame and the rockers to handle the lever forces reliably, and will still tear away if high-centered on something. I have not seen how the "tailor made" units attach. Do any of you have them, and if so, can you send me a photo or 5 of the attachment points and tell me if threaded riv-nuts were installed into the rockers? Here's an email, change the capitalized words into symbols. This keeps machines from harvesting it. arborigine AT yahoo DOT com Thanks

Reply to
Stupendous Man

I would be very surprised if any aftermarket step manufacturer used technology as advanced as riv-nuts.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I took the stock ones off due to them being rust collectors that came on our 87 and 88 Cherokees.

These each have a half dozen nuts and bolts that go through the bottom flange of the rocker panel with gussets up into the front and rear wheel wells for horizontal stability. They each then have 2 C channel pieces that run across to the frame rails and bolt on there.

I could take a digital photo of them if you would like. They are sitting in the side yard.

Mike

Mike Romain

The description works, I don't think pics will add anything. It seems weak to hang them from the rocker seam, but spreading it out over a foot with a bunch of small bolts or pop-rivets should handle it, then one big one to the subframe will keep it aligned as the force there will be up. I'm just going to bend them from tube and weld some expanded steel on for grip, then drop them off at a powder coater. Thanks

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III