2000 Wrangler Heater/Air conditioning blower fan not working

Any ideas on the following. For the heat/air conditioning fan on 2000 Wrangler, the knob that controls the fan or air blower does not work activate the air, although once or twice it did work, then stopped. This happened a couple of years ago and local garage replaced some kind of part that cost about $150.00. (Can't find receipt). I am thinking it is simpler than that and that it is the back of the actual knob itself that is loose or not functioning. Anyone know how to take off the section of the dashboard that gives access, what to look for, and any ideas as to what that part would be that was replaced the first time. (Right now, the system produces heat, but just won't blow it out, so you have to wait a while to get warm, not to mention defrosting problems likely soon).

Reply to
doylexus

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote: Anyone know how to take off the

I undid and re-installed my entire dash just so the mechanics could change my Heater Core last month. To get to the back of your heat guages is quite simple - unclip your top 'grill' like dash piece and you'll see 6-8 screws. Also under the center unit of the dash you'll see more of these screws. If you are checking further (i.e. the fan itself) I suggest you have someone else do it it took me 2 hours just to remove and with the passenger air bag its a real pain.

Reply to
Thoth1126

There are a bunch of defective TJ switches out there. The switch can be obtained by itself for about $15.00, no need to spend $150 on the whole cluster....

The center bezel with the heater controls just has a few screws holding it in.

There is another issue with some, a bad dash ground. Here is a recall notice about that for the 99's:

Recall 99V117000: Instrument Panel Ground Screws Loose

The left side and right side instrument panel wiring ground attachment screws could loosen over time. If the left side screw loosens, the instrument panel gauges may not function when the headlamps are turned on. If the right side screw loosens, the defroster blower motor may not function.

Dealers will remove the ground screws, drill a new pilot hole adjacent to the original hole, and the screws will be reinstalled in the new holes.

Owner notification began May 31, 1999. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Chrysler at 1-800-992-1997. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: N>
Reply to
Mike Romain

If it affects only certain speeds, check the resistors.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch