Your Jeep is a fueling station!

Here's a cool tool you can make yourself: a tap line for your Jeep fuel injector rail that you can use to pump gasoline.

During and after Hurricane Frances we were having to get 15 gallons/day of fuel into a portable generator, and shuttling that much via small cans was a chore, and for a while gasoline was rationed so that you weren't allowed to even fill portable containers, although you could fill your vehicle tank.

After I discovered that my 2003 TJ, like most modern cars, will not admit a siphon tube into the fuel filler neck, I thought about using the service port on the fuel injector rail. Turns out this is a standard

1/4" flare fitting, which is the same used on the old R12 refrigerant charging hoses. I took one of those hoses from the auto parts store, cut it in half, and spliced in a length of 1/4" polyethylene tubing with a brass hose repair coupler.

Running the engine at idle, this delivers 1/2 gallon/minute through the hose. On my car, the pump runs only when the engine is running. At least at idle, tapping off the fuel doesn't seem to affect the engine's needs. With the engine off, you can attach and remove the hose without spilling more than a few drops that you can catch with a rag.

I've disconnected, coiled, and stowed this hose inside the engine compartment using some cable ties, where it's ready to supply fuel in an emergency.

Seems like with a shut-off valve, this could also avoid the need to store gasoline in the garage for lawn mowers and such.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Richard J Kinch did pass the time by typing:

You just need to jumper the fuel pump relay to make it pump. Depends on the model but it's a fairly easy thing to do.

As for the siphon, you can. It just takes a long screwdriver to move the spring out of the way. Least on my ZJ it does.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Do you have to have the filler restriction in in California? We cut them out the first time the tank or filler neck is out over here.

Reply to
Ted Azito

Ted Azito did pass the time by typing:

In Oklahoma it's part of a vehicle inspection, or at least was since they don't do inspections as is bloody apparent by the number of morons and the bubbamobiles running about. :/

Besides, the only reason to punch that out was to try to run leaded in an unleaded vehicle. Now that all they sell is diesel and unlead it's fairly much pointless except to keep said morons from putting in a tank of diesel.

Reply to
DougW

CA inspects *everything* for smog. Your vehicle will need it, and they'll also check your gas cap for a vacuum seal.

-John

Reply to
Generic