2009 Optima

I have been watching the news car ads in the paper recently.

I have seen ads from various KIA dealers but not a single one of them have advertised the Optima.

Has KIA discontuued the Optima?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

<z

Hardly. In fact, the '09 Optima has been freshened.

The updated 4-cylinder should match the upgrades in the Hyundai Sonata, giving slightly more power, but with significantly better fuel economy.

The audio system has been vastly updated for better MP3 and I-pod capabilities, and is now Sirius Satellite ready on some models.

My only disappointment is with the V6 version. They continue on with that

2.7L V6. While that engine has been very trouble free, runs very smoothly, and does provide an upgrade in power, the upgrade isn't near enough to warrant the extra outlay in cost.

With the exceptional American made 3.3L V6 in the Hyundai Sonata that is about to be mated to an all new 6-speed Hyundai-Kia automatic, I see little reason to get the Kia in V6 form, especially since that 2.7L is still a "timing belt" engine.

I have no idea if Kia has plans to add that engine into their foray, but I think it would be a wise move for a number of vehicles, especially if Hyundai and Kia are now one and the same company.

But overall, I think the 4-cylinder Optima is one of the best overall automotive values in the industry, bar none.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Do you see the 4cly 09 Optima as better than the 09 Sonata 4cl?

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Thanx for writing! While one may quibble with Consumer Reports methods, politics, or criteria by which they test cars, at least you can say that the Sonata vs. Optima is testing apples vs. apples.

The re-designed Sonata, while testing far better than the previous model, its '09 4-cylnder still is not quite as highly rated as the '08 Optima

4-cylinder. And I would expect the score of the '09 Optima to improve at least a point or two.

And this is one case where I agree with CR. To make a long answer short - YES, I think the Kia is a bit better than the Hyundai and in several niggling little areas. For one, the new Kia's are being tuned a little more for sport performance than the Hyundais.

I also like how the Kias are packaged into their option groups a little better than the Hyundais. That is particularly true with the Sedona vs. Entourage minivan.

But maybe that's just me. What it probably really comes down to is nothing more complicated than, "Which brand (in your area) has the better dealer?" I have noticed that Hyundai or Kia dealers rate among the very best or the very worst, with little in between.

It's easy in my area, because all four dealers within a 75-mile radius are one and the same, selling both Hyundais and Kias. And of those, two dealerships are excellent, two I don't have the time of day for.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Actually, that is why I asked the question. The Hyundai dealer who was in my town closed up shop. Well. kinda, he still has Dodge and Toyota but no longer has Hyundai.

The Kia dealer is not far away and is located on the city transit line whereby I could drop a car off and then conveniently ride the bus when it is time to pick it up. I have heard no bad reposrts in regard to his service shop.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Tom ~ Is your main issue with the V6 specifically the additional price? Everything else is "OK"? As mentioned before, wife's 01 Optima is the V6 for which we are extremely pleased with. My rationale at the time for getting it as opposed to the 4-cyl was an assumption on my part it would be much more dependable. Wife was still working at the time (now retired) and commuted a 3:00am so I naturally wanted a car we could trust. Her car now has 111,000 on the clock, as well as mine (not a KIA). We are vaguely thinkg of replacing one car and will target getting another Optima. We, or I, have never owned a more dependable, cost effective automobile. Other than preventative maintenance, the only money, we have ever put in the car was replacing both the input & the output transmission sensors at 106,000 &

107,000 miles respectively. That's it - not another dime. So, why mess with success!

All this is leading up to: are there any issues I should be aware of about the V6 other than the original cost outlay? I have nothing against the

4-cyl, just have no experience with it. Thanks.

Rich

Reply to
<z

So far as can be told, reliability with both engines should be REALLY good. I know that this particular V6 is indeed a real jewel.

But there just isn't enough additional power in this engine to justify the additional cost or fuel mileage penalty - it is barely stronger, especially compared with this newer version of the 4.

I'm just of the mind that if you are going to buy a V6 (which I think in most of these midsize cars is preferable), you should get a genuine V6. The Hyundai Sonata's American-made 3.3L fits that description, and it matches this 2.7L for fuel economy.

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

I appreciate your input. Thanks.

Reply to