AT tyres that fit on std wheels

Looking for some big ones to go with the 2" lift that will be going on soon. I want to use the standard freestyle wheels. Not after spending mega money, but it will be towing a big caravan though!

Reply to
Nige

You've seen mine and thought it was lifted already (it isn't), I run BFG AT's 31 x 10.5R15's ... do you have 16" wheels though? We're supposed to be getting a full 2" lift kit soon, but things aren't working out that way, so HD + 1" springs might be fitted without any other change for now. Cost me ~£90 per tyre.

Back to the tyres .. Amazing grip, and mine had already done maybe 32000 miles before we went to the Dales. (fitted them at ~70k and it's now got

104k on the clock) Excellent road-handling, so long as some care is used when it's greasy ... but that's the same with any heavy vehicle. My rear drivers side has a screw in it, through the tread, and currently loses a couple of PSI per week, or more when off-roading, but it isn't a hassle and they're still good enough to not want to change them yet. We also tow a caravan maybe 6000 miles a year, probably smaller than yours though, and it doesn't make a difference to the tyres.

One thing we have found, with the larger overall diameter than standard tyres the speedo now reads spot on at about 55/60/65, reads a tad high (speedo 30 actual 29/30) at 30 and a tad high at 80( Speedo 80 actual 79/80) when measured against GPS. Standard tyres the readings were all high, so indicated 30 was about 27/28, indicated 50 about 46/47 indicated 70 about

66/67 actual)
Reply to
Paul - xxx

Nige, 235/85/16's are the biggest without major mods but you will need a 'camel cut' on the rear arches. I would go for 245/70/16's as they don't need any cutting, BF Goodrich AT are probably the best but pricey, colway remoulds are fine for off-road but not really good enough for towing the tintent etc IMO.

Andy

Reply to
Andy

Nige does your new Disco have the electronic ecu controlled pump or is a the mechanical one? I'm interested in when they changed over TA Derek

Reply to
Derek

It is only the Auto's in the UK that have EDC and from "N" reg onwards.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thanks Marc just to get it clear in my furry brain is that> autos from N reg and not in manuals or > all autos and then manuals from n reg ? I really do fancy an auto just want to find out how late I can go before the electrickery kicks in

Derek

Catweazle: "Thous liest, thou double-headed, double-dealer " (obviously a visit to a main agent then )

Reply to
Derek

Only autos from N reg onwards. Manuals in the UK have never used EDC.

Don't be too scared of the EDC, It is pretty trouble free, well at least the ones I look after are and I do a few .

You get better performance from EDC but they are slightly harder to work on.

Reply to
Marc Draper

Thanks Marc I'm afraid I take Catweazles view of electrickery ( you need to be very old to remember that gentleman with degree of clarity - any resemblance is coincidental ) less is more especially if Lucas connectors are involved.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

On or around Fri, 27 Jul 2007 19:10:12 +0100, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

If you're doing a 2" lift, I'd go with 235/85R16.

Reply to
Austin Shackles