Blooming speed camera

Hi folks Just joined the been flashed group. Do you normally get two flashes and how much is the fine. Dam Dam Dam.!!!!

regards bottom lip wobble

Reply to
john oakes

Depends on how fast you were going!

30 over speed limit is more points and more cash

If youve joined the 'Tonne plus club' then youre more than likely off to see some guy in a wig....

I think thats how it works..

Mark

9090

Reply to
Mark Solesbury

2 flashes is normal. They are not always loaded and still flash - so you may still be ok. I think i've been flashed 5 or 6 times now and not recieved any nasty letters. You can now spend the next few weeks worrying about it and not enjoying checking the post in the morning.
Reply to
Tom Woods

I've been flashed on occasion too and never had a ticket. They have to issue it within 14 days of the offence, so if you don't get anything by then, you won't.

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

Two timed flashes to get two images of the car against the marked road so if you dispute the radar reading they can show you did Xm in Ys so must have going at Z speed.

As regards getting a done, variable. I've been flashed a couple of times and not been done. But they where motorway cameras and flashed almost everybody, would have to have been a very big roll of film(*)... You'll just have to sit and wait now, not sure how long it is before you can say your in the clear, even if they do send you a notice. If it arrives too long after the event it's not enforceable. There a number of "know your rights" web sites relating to speed cameras.

(*)Not all cameras use film these days, some are digital, some are online and digital.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I found this site useful

B & Z Metalcraft

On or around 31 Jan 2006 03:35:08 GMT, john oakes enlightened us thusly:

wait and see. Might be no film in the thing. They always flash twice, even if not "active".

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I Love that site

Mark

9090
Reply to
Mark Solesbury

There are a couple of things that you can do now to avoid getting a ticket, but be quick:-

1/ Return to camera, attach chain around camera and attach other end to any Land Rover product and speed off. 2/ Return to camera, throw a couple of old tyres around camera head, add a sprinkle of petrol to taste, ignite and cook on a high temerature for 45 minutes.

Reply to
Bill Payer

Oh you will, I received one three *months* after the event from Suffolk Police, the dates on the NIP were correct and showed the date of the offence as being 3 months in the past. I binned it and heard nothing more apart from a threatening letter about taking me to court, killing my cat, burning the house down etc but that went in the bin too.

So there's a good chance they'll still try to get the loot out of you even if two weeks pass, counting on you not knowing the rules, 'cos they certainly don't hint at them anywhere.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

There's a camera on the A303 that I used to pass regularly, about 3 times a year it would get this treatment. It's pointing up a very steep hill and catches people as they dash to overtake extremely slow lorries on a patch of short dual carriageway designed for the purpose.

It seems a bit of a mean place to put the camera, however the dual carriageway ends extremely suddenly just over the top of the hill so I suspect it's there to try to teach people that next time they come by, they should go slower rather than try to beat the lorry. It doesn't help those who're only passing through of course, perhaps better signage or road layout would be better..

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I had one nine months late. So late, in fact, that it was for an offence before I owned the car. They knew this (it was pointed out on the NIP) but still sent me a NIP. And then another...

Never bothered getting back to them, half hoping for a day in court. It didn't go anywhere.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

The absolute deadline is 6 months. If they havn't issued you a Court Summons within 6 months from the date of alleged speeding offence it's dead in the water.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 10:49:05 +0000, Matthew Maddock wrote (in article ):

Just bear in mind that they have a get out clause on the 14 days if the person driving the vehicle was not the registered keeper. My Peugeot is on contract hire and S Wales police took 8 - 12 weeks to get a ticket to me a ticket in 2004. I challenged it on the 14 day grounds and was firmly put in my place. They only have to deliver the NIP to the registered keeper in 14 days, not actually identify the driver and get the NIP to them.

Reply to
Nick Williams

Didn't realise that, but it makes sense I guess.

I got one for someone who I sold one of my cars to as the ownership hadn't been transferred. I got it within a few days of the offence. I have to say that the Police were actually very good when I called them to explain that the vehicle wasn't mine and I didn't have any details for the new owner. I was quite surprised, given the wording of the NIP was very threatening if I could not supply the details of the driver at the time of the offence, suggesting that I would be prosecuted if I did not provide this info. There didn't seem any leeway for the fact that I genuinely did not know it! Since then I always get any new owner of a car I sell to sign something detailing their name / address and the date (& time) that they took ownership of the car. Pedantic I know, but I'd prefer to be safe than sorry - just in case!

Matt.

Reply to
Matthew Maddock

There's also one on the A128 at Kelvedon Hatch, Essex. It was burnt out at least twice that I know of, the last being 12 months ago. The authorities have left the burnt-out hulk in place - leastways it

*looks* like the burnt-out hulk :-)

- Tom.

Reply to
Thos

The idea behind the 14-day limit was that it was regarded as the time that you could be expected to remember what had happened and so would be able to mount a suitable defence. Unfortunately the rule gets bypassed for administrative convenience, e.g. no requirement to send via registered post any more, second-class post will do, as long as the police have the paperwork to "prove" that it was sent.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

It's worth looking around for the rules for the correct use of fixed Gatso cameras, for instance, did you know that a Gatso camera must be supplied by mains 240v and NOT a generator providing 240v, motorway road works for example?? The road that the camera is on must have the correct road signs within a certain distance of the camera (1km I think). The sign must display the camera symbol AND the road speed. The camera must be highly visible with flourescent markings to warn the driver that they are approaching a dangerous part of the road.

Reply to
Bill Payer

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 21:37:53 +0000 (UTC), Matthew Maddock scribbled the following nonsense:

I always get them to fill out the V5 before they leave, then *I* can send it off, after taking a photocopy. That way you have some clue of who the vehicle is being sold to, and that the V5 has been sent off, thus ensuring DVLA have been notified. I have taken a photocopy of V5's ever since I sent one off for a vehicle I bought, phoned up DVLA

8 weeks later to ask where the V5 was. Not recieved was their answer. Fill out form such and such and send it in to us along with some money and we'll process it. Went into local DVLA office with the new keepers part which I still had, and created hell. They dealt with it, photocopied and advised when sending off V5's to photocopy them, as you would not believe how many get lost......
Reply to
Simon Isaacs

I used to work with a guy whose wife works for the police department responsible for issuing fixed penalty notices in Staffordshire. According to her the police guidelines say that a notice must be issued to the owner of the vehicle within three months of the offence being committed. They do however issue notices after 3 months in the hope that people will still 'admit' to the offence! Apparently a high number of people do. My next door neighbours wife was flashed by a camera in Chesterfield. She got a notice a week later. It was a Gatso type (picture from behind) camera. He asked for my advice. I told him to write to the police and tell them that you cannot remember if it was yourself or your wife who was driving at the time. After all, there is no way the police can prove it from a grainy picture of the back of your vehicle. He sent them a letter to this effect. 4 weeks later he got a reply saying that the police would not be pursuing the matter any further. Result!!!!!

Stew

Reply to
90ninety