Diesel problems - but not landrover

My LDV van died yesterday (fitted with a transit 2.5DI and the Lucas EPIC fuel injection system.

I had a Bosch mechanical injector pump that I was planning to swap at some point, it cam sooner that I reckoned!

Starting this morning I removed the old Lucas pump and fitted the s/h Bosch pump.

At the end of a long and fruitless day!

Bosch pump fitted, EGR blanked off, fuel stop feed found. New plumbing for the feed and return pipes, no leaks. Mechanical accelerator pedal fitted.

The engine will start then run for anything between 10 and 20 seconds, then die. There is some white smoke, but it starts reasonably OK.

When running, the throttle has no effect whatsoever, no change to the engine note at all!

I have removed the air pipe from the air filter and there is a very good suck.

I have cracked the feed open and there is fuel, I have cracked the return open and there is fuel. I have systematically cracked the injector feeds and there is fuel at each injector.

I have swapped feed and return at the injector pump (just in case I had it wrong) - no effect.

I have connected the feed to the return and then gravity fed the fuel into the pump - no effect, still no increase in revs when the throttle is operated.

After all that I suspect that the injector pump I have is dud!

Have I missed anything obvious?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

The problem's here I suspect! I assume that you've observed what moving the throttle pedal does to the governor control lever on the pump. Does that lever move either with or without the pedal being moved? Can you get speed variation by moving the lever? Is there increasing resistance to lever movement as you go in the direction of increased speed?

Silly thought - you are connected to the correct lever, aren't you !?*?

Where did the pump come from? It's not a fixed speed job off a generator or similar is it?

Reply to
Dougal

I'm no expert , but isn't white smoke syptomatic of sucking air in?

Back to my rock.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Presumably you have read and digested the ldv-forums method of fitting the RIGHT 2.5DI bosch pump??? I suspect you have, in which case the pump you have is a dud'un. :(

Tim..

Reply to
Tim..

Probably something so obvious I can't think of it either.

White smoke on start indicates bad injector patterns, due to insufficient pressure, air in the system or maybe bad spill timing.

Running for a bit, then stopping, I'd guess as being insufficient fuel flow if it's an electric fuel pump. Maybe a blocked/ cracked sedimentor bowl or filter? Or possibly the pump's being controlled by a relay which needs a feed from the electronic injection system to keep it running?

No change in revs when moving the presumed throttle lever could be something broken inside the pump, or maybe it's a cold start lever, not a throttle.

Just a few ideas from memories of working on older diesels.

Or it could just be a duff injector pump.

Reply to
John Williamson

Yes, it is exactly the one that is specified in the LDV forums. I've been through them as well, I was just checking there was nothing obvious that I had missed.

Some responders have suggested I advance the timing, but will doing that actually have any effect on the throttle, whilst the spindle seems to move, I just wonder if something is blocked/broken internally?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Have you tried to establish WHY it died?

Without testing the Bosch pump first? You may be introducing another problem.

WTF is a 'fuel stop feed'?

Is there a restriction or an air leak into somewhere in the fuel supply?

Is the injection pump timing way out?, but it would keep running even so. Early Bosch pumps are self priming so take the lift pump out of the supply.

So you are assuming the valve timing is ok? Check it.

The inlet is at the drive end of the Bosch pump. Is the drive pulley the correct size?

Possibly, but easy to check.

Reply to
Oily

The injector pump had been leaking for a while (I was planning on changing it, hence the Bosch pump), the engine wouldn't start and the pump itself was making a "whining" noise.

I'm not sure how I test a pump off the car, I have to rely on the seller "it was working when it was removed"

Sorry, long day! Stop solenoid on the pump.

Nope, checked al that.

I am, it was working fine with the Epic, so no reason to assume it was way off.

I was told that the EPIC pump and the Bosch pump used the same pulley.

How?

I remain concerned that when I operate the throttle on the injector pump, absolutely nothing happens, no change in engine not at all. That's why I suspect the pump

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

Me neither, but AFIK, white smoke = unburnt fuel, low compression, or bad timing.

Timing is everything with a diesel, second only to clean fuel.

Dave B.

Reply to
Mr Dave Baxter

Timing is my (educated) guess too.

Reply to
EMB

I obtained another pump today, put that in and all is right with the world!

Looks like I had two duff pumps!

Cheers

Peter

Reply to