Disco II...

Engine aside, what's the rest of the motor like to work on?

I've a liking for old-fashioned things that you can bodge with bits of wire and string. But then again, it might be that disco IIs are in the bracket that we want to look at for replacing the '95 one with a newer/lower mileage model.

Disco I TDis only go up to about 98 or maybe early 99 anyway... so increasingly, there will be fewer really tidy ones about.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Think of it as a P38 with a nicer bum. it has a SERIOUS amount of the leccy stuff in it. Whilst my LSE has the same amount, the D2 bits & bats are newer & MUCH more expensive.

Having said that, I would have one tomorrow! It's like anything, buy & it & love it or worry about it & hate it.

Nige

-- Subaru WRX Range Rover LSE (Bob)

'"gimme the f*ckin' money"

Reply to
Nige

WHS! You can't open the sunroof without a computer checking that you should be able to open the sunroof...

Or in my case buy it, love it, then worry about when it's next going to go phut. Thought it was going to be this morning, amber ACE light came on, but hasn't reappeared apart from the POST. I do wish it would boing when it turns a warning lamp on, some are half hidden by the steering wheel and difficult to see.

Instead I investigated why the headlamp power wash wasn't working. Nice and simple, blown fuse but why has a 20A fuse blown? It all works now and doesn't blow the fuse.

Curiously SWMBO'd Fiesta blew it's 20A washer fuse the other week. These are the first automotive fuses I've had to replace for donkeys years, they may even be *the* first.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Frozen water in the system at a guess.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

On or around Mon, 12 Dec 2005 22:51:26 -0000, "Nige" enlightened us thusly:

stuff in it. Whilst my LSE

Is it actually the same system as the P38? erm... lessee (dredges through forgettory) GEMS? or is it an updated one?

I've no real objection to electronics (mostly, the electronics themselves are reliable - it's the connections between 'em that tend to give trouble IME.

The real problem I have is things that turn around a tell me "dealer only servicing". Although I gather that more of the independents are getting testbook and/or Rovacom to be able to work on these.

one thing about the TD5, for exmaple: it's said (by some) that it needs checking and retuning every X miles, which can "only" be done on testbook. Is this true, either about the necessity or the doing?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I guess so as well but I've never had fuses blow before, presumably due to and iced up and thus stalled motor. Bear in mind that the power wash pump on the DII only runs for half a second under control of the BCU not a human and it hasn't been that cold this year. Only a few nights have got close to -5C, cold is -10...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Pretty much the same as any other modern motor, the nuts and bolts are just that, it's the electronics that can cause problems if and when they play up. A lot of the trim etc is very similar if not identical to a 300 series disco.

Nope, it's the later "Thor" inlet setup, cast iron exhaust manifolds and the Bosch Motronic engine management system. The Motronic system is in many ways very similar in architecture to the BMW V8 and V12 engines using it, very reliable. Be warned though, if going the LPG route, it HAS to be SGI, vapourmix will not work properly, and be careful installing the injectors as the inlet manifold as you look down on it has the centre 2 cylinders crossed side to side, important when working out the injector sequencing, or it'll cause the ecu to chuck a teddy or 3.

Only issues, same as any other newer vehicle, are that it needs to go on the computer to diagnose a lot of the systems (rear air suspension, HDC, HVAC, autobox, BCU etc etc) but the actual repairing can be done quite simply at home once you know what has failed. Personally, I use Rovacom Lite, but only because Autologic was way too expensive.

Pass, never heard that one myself.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

In message , Austin Shackles writes

It is no way as bad as a P38 for electrickery

There is always the odd lemon but most that I look after are pretty good, A couple of expensive ACE repairs (only because the seal kits are so expensive). Coolant leaks are common as are leaking SLS bags.

The drive train is as good as any LR and possibly better, the price of genuine spares has come down a lot since the Disco 3 came out.

As for needing to be "re-tuned" utter bo****ks. But a good LR specific diagnostic system can tell you lots about your car.

Personally I think the Disco II is one of the best vehicles Land Rover have ever made. My favourite is the Td5 auto with 16" wheels and ACE.

Go on Austin you know you should.

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Tue, 13 Dec 2005 14:52:34 +0000 (UTC), "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

ah, not thinking V8 for this one. would be a TD5 if any.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 13 Dec 2005 17:34:49 +0000, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

hehe. We'll see what come up when the money's available, which is probably not 'til sometime late spring.

I'd not pass up a mint low mileage late 300 TDi though, if that's what came up.

Reply to
Austin Shackles