Engine transplants

I've seen lots of good info about putting Perkins Primas in a Series Landy. Does anyone know how well they work at angles? Landrover engines are designed to work at weird angles, but I guess the perkins engine isn't. If I put one in, is it likely to die on serious hill climbs or side slopes for lack of oil?

Tim

Reply to
TimA

TimA uttered summat worrerz funny about:

They seem to work ok in all manner of machinery used on the Tip / farm so I can't envisage any problems unless they have a different design for the likes of generator engines.

In this day and age though I have to ask, why a Perkins and not a TDi?

Lee

Reply to
Dr_D

On or around 23 Jan 2007 01:30:17 -0800, "TimA" enlightened us thusly:

The Prima is also used for marine applications, ISTR.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| On or around 23 Jan 2007 01:30:17 -0800, "TimA" || enlightened us thusly: || ||| I've seen lots of good info about putting Perkins Primas in a Series ||| Landy. Does anyone know how well they work at angles? Landrover ||| engines are designed to work at weird angles, but I guess the ||| perkins engine isn't. If I put one in, is it likely to die on ||| serious hill climbs or side slopes for lack of oil? || || || The Prima is also used for marine applications, ISTR.

Got one in our little diesel cruiser. 2 litre, n/a, 50bhp. Runs like a clock, and uses 2-3 litres an hour at 7 knots. Not fast, but good. From what I hear, the turbo Prima in a Series is pretty sprightly and returns about 35 mpg.

Reply to
Rich