Flametraps V8 110 3.5

Hello Chaps. What are purposes of flame traps and valve inlet on airfilter. I decided to replace my flame traps. Lucky I did as they were full to the brim of junk, so I have clean the pipes to and from the twin carbs and to the valve. What importance is this valve breather to airfilter. Unfortunately the flame trap for the airfilter is single connector not a double. My mistake. The vehicle runs okay.

Reply to
John Oakes

I never replace them - just soak them in paraffin and set fire to them, preferably in an ashtray full of paraffin. The stuff soon burns off and you are left with a full view through the trap. I can't help with the meaning, other than the obvious one - to stop a backfire from sending a flame past the trap.

Reply to
Danny

Danny uttered summat worrerz funny about:

Stops backfires igniting fumes in the sump....BOOM...what sump?

Not clearing them usually results in Oil being pressurised out of the breathers to the air filter.

Lee

Reply to
Lee_D

They let the engine breath. Mine were blocked and I was getting weeps from the pipe joints and the rocker cover gaskets - replaced them and all was well. They're only cheap but I'm going to wash the ones I've just taken off in petrol - not so sure about setting fire to them though. As long as the pipes aren't actually blocked I'd just drain them out - they'll get oiled up again soon enough.

Reply to
Bob Miller

The breather pipe lets the engine breathe. The flame trap (fitted inline) traps flames in the breather.

Reply to
Danny

Hello again. What does the third connect do the airfilter via a valve.

regards john oakes

Reply to
john oakes