ROT: USB Reversing camera.

Ok some may recall my recent construction of a Laptop mount for our Rangie primarily for use of Navigation software.

I'm now exploring the option of a USB camera for use as a reversing camera. I've considered stick type cameras, but the essential element is the ability to flip (mirror) the image.

Can any one recomend such a camera???

A google turned up

which seems to fit the bill but unfortunately has issues with distance from the machine. I am looking at using the camera up to 13 metres from the laptop i.e. via USB extensions (For use in the rear window of the caravan) and also over shorter distances when fitted into Morph.

Cheers

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Can't really recommend a camera, mine are just cheapies I bought for the kids but the only software I've got that allows for mirror flip is Photobank Video capture none of the other software does it but the results aren't that good the picture is either small and smooth or large and jerky but I wonder if thats down to my computer

While we're on about cameras I have a security camera attached to my computer downstairs, Is it possible for me to view my camera on my lads laptop upstairs or vice versa if I fit a camera to his they are networked and working OK if so is it possible to view it over the internet?

Andy

Reply to
Andy.Smalley

Have the camera hooked to an applet on an html page on your downstairs computer, and just open the page in your browser... I've got a freebie applet for this somewhere, if I can find it, I'll let you know where to download it from... It literally just dropped on the page with virtually no messing about.

Reply to
Me

Lee_D wrote: I am looking at using the camera up to 13 metres from the

I just got a very neat PC and video monitor, with touchscreen for Bob and Urrs, 7" diagonal, 16:9 jobbie- and a remote control.

Anyway, you can probably extend the range with a USB hub.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

message

VisionGS may do the trick as webcam software. The download page is

& the personal edition is freefor non-commercial use. I've played with it in the past & it's talked toa number of different webcams and digital cameras perfectly. I don't have a windows install on any of my machines at the moment to check but IIRC there's a tickbox which will let you laterally invert the image in the preview pane. Might just using the software as a viewer (upload mode off) work for the reversing camera problem?

Reply to
Tim Izod

I've used VisionGS in the past and found it very good. But I could only get it to stream through its own web server, which meant I stopped using it when I upgraded to IIS. Anybody had any luck streaming through IIS with it?

David.

Reply to
David French

theyre still fairly expensive though arnt they?

The powered hubs also help dont they?. If so, then you need to find one that runs on 12V.

Reply to
Tom Woods

£150 ?

Since many work with a Wall-wart with a 9V output, this should be pretty easy

Reply to
Steve

In the writings of Lee_D, the scrolls contained these prophetic words:

You may want to consider a WAP enabled security camera, if you have a WAP card in your Laptop then it should work, TomsHardWare did some reviews a long time ago. Not a area I dabble in sorry. That said since it's a security camera some are weather proof. This also would help remove cable clutter.

Reply to
Faolan

WAP? Or do you mean Bluetooth or Wifi? I've not come across WAP used in this situation, but that's not to say I've not missed something :)

David French

In the writings of David French, the scrolls contained these prophetic words:

An example. Some call them WiFi Cameras, LAN cameras or WAP cameras.

I not sure if would directly connect to your Laptop, though I have seen some that have a hub built in. It's fairly easy to set up (have seen set up in a corporate environ). Note the date of the article, it's over a year old so products will have evolved as it was a rapidly growing market then. The company I saw install the stuff was based out of London and unfortunately I can't track them down now.

HTH though.

Reply to
Faolan