Software to record maintenance

With a memory worse than a sieve and more than one vehicle here, can anyone recommend any simple software for recording maintenance on vehicles.

I've downloaded a few spreadsheet based things, but all seem too complex for a simple soul like me.

What I think I want is something where you can just put in the vehicle name, service type and the interval in miles and months. Also a place for notes about between service events, and probably mileage at each fill-up, which would give mpg and keep the mileage data input up to date. Add in some fields for regular things like MOT's.

Some sort of alarm or warning of impending doom would also be useful.

Is there anything, preferably free, out there, or do I need to brush up on my Open Office spreadsheet or database writing lack of talent?

Reply to
Bill

I just use a simple spreadsheet with columns for DATE, KM, and DESCRIPTION of what was done. If you download OpenOffice, it's free.

-Craig.

Reply to
CraigB

I don't know about any software for your purpose (but there seems to be fleet management freeware:

), but if you dodecide to use OpenOffice, you do not have to use a full blownspreadsheet. If you don't have to make complex calculations, there isno need to use a spreadsheet. Just open Writer, open a new documentand insert a table with Command+F12, I have an iMac, ehm, Ctrl+F12 ifyou use Windows. Select the number of rows (2 to begin with, add newrows with Tab from the last cell in the table) and columns: 3 if youadopt Craigs lay-out (date, km, description), more if you want to addcosts, fuel, todo's, MOT-dates, etcetera. If the columns run off ofthe page (is this correct English?), try Format > Page > Orientation:Landscape.

Regards, Richard

Reply to
Richard

From memory Microsoft Works has that sort of template already installed.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Yes, that's what I've been doing, although I've actually used the Open Office database. But I was hoping there was something between that and the, usually American, ones where they seem to list every bit of a service separately.

I also think that keeping the records of fuel use against mileage in there would help with keeping me aware and up to date with this. Maintenance, particularly with the car, has often seemed to be done in emergency and panic, so more fuel would seem to be a good trigger for getting and updating the records.

Reply to
Bill

"Bob Hobden" wrote..............

I've used the MW programs for years with no problems. Doesn't matter what you use but you have got to keep the entries up to date.

Reply to
Oily