Tooth jumping V8?

Ok, previous Rangie listed on ebay sold outside of auction so I missed out, however a better one has come up...sort of. Who all of you can tell me, is it unusual for a timing chain to jump a tooth in a 3.5 1976 model? The fellow says that it jumped a tooth and burnt an exhaust valve in no7 (has no compression in that one) Having little to no experience with internals on these motors I'd love for someone to 'diagnose' it for me! Says it still runs, but coughs and splutters. Has new tyres and 5spoke alloy mags and 2pac paint and looks a real treat. Richard.

Reply to
Richard

On or around Mon, 20 Sep 2004 21:16:21 +1000, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

about as unlikely as an unlikely thing, unless the engine's very shagged. The timing chain is a quite short morse chain running on "gears" (not actually the same tooth profile) and for it to "jump" a tooth it'd have to be so worn that the rest of the engine is apt to be complete scrap.

OK, FWIW - budget for replacing the engine. Good secondhand ones can be got for a few hundred if yer lucky, recons are more and so is doing a decent rebuild yerself.

missing compression on one pot might be something simple like a burnt valve or might be something more sinister. I had one with no compression on no.1 and never got to the bottom of it.

but I'd be very suspicious of such a story meself.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Never had it happen but cam gears routinely wear to the point of gearlessness and the timing chain to the point of being sloppier than a sloppy thing. I suppose it would be quite possible to go that little bit further (in fact I'm not sure that I haven't heard of it) that the slop coincides with the gearlessness and jumps ...

Unlikely? Plausible I'd suggest.

Generally knackered? Quite possibly.

Allow a few hundred quid for a *good* s/h engine ... is the rest worth the money you're going to pay?

Reply to
AJG

On or around Mon, 20 Sep 2004 19:55:25 +0100, AJG enlightened us thusly:

to get the camchain that worn I'd be amazed if the rest of the engine were in anything like decent condition. and besides, if that's all that's wrong with it why sell it with a dud #7 pot? bung another valve in, I would. The fact that the seller hasn't bothered implies to me that there's something more serious up with it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I also don't understand why a chain would only jump one tooth. If it's gonna jump once, it would surely just keep on jumping until something went bang.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

Have a look at it and tell me what you think. Owner claims that the engine was professionally rebuilt 3 years ago. I have another 3.5 I could put in to start with. The rest of the car has had a fair bit of money spent on it and looks great. He has dropped the price from $3500 to $2700 Aussie dollars. I'm fairly sure the guy is loaded as he went out and bought a 97 model and parked this one...

Reply to
Richard

will be "quite well worn" School mashed potatoe will have more lumps than the cam shaft and all the heads will be blowing into the valley area. one of these will be the root of your no comp ...... Theres loads of info on knackered V8's ( as well as some scary prices) on

Steve the grease

Reply to
R L Driver

On or around Tue, 21 Sep 2004 17:45:33 +1000, "Richard" enlightened us thusly:

well, if you have another engine and the rest looks good, then that's your major worry sorted. However, I repeat my comment that if it requires minimal work on the engine then why isn't he doing the work, so as to be able to sell it as a "good runner"?

I reckon the engine's shagged. the fact that it was a recon 3 years ago means next-to-nothing unless a) you know it was a reputable recon, not just a cosmetic cheapo job and b) that it's been looked after and servived correctly since. Oh and c) how many miles since it was done.

I tend to the view that one or more of a), b) or c) are not optimal.

I dunno what Oz prices are like. if the current price is fair for the vehicle and condition, with a shagged engine, then go for it, especially if you have an engine to slot in. Then if the engine turns out to be repairable easily, you get a bargain, if not, by the time you put your engine in, it's still a fair price. can't really see in that kind of picture what the important bits of body structure etc are like.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

That site has serious spelling issues & crap grammar! But, it does appear to have some good info for a new V8 owner!

Nige

Reply to
Nige

the car is about 1000km away from my place so I'm getting dear old dad (previous Rangie owner) to go have a sticky beak for me on saturday. I'll get his judgement on motor condition and other vitals and make the decision from there. I think that slotting my motor in and doing a strip down on the other might be the go. Anyway, Saturday will shed more light on the subject! I'll let you know how it goes!

Richard.

Reply to
Richard