V8 Vacuum advance curves and tales of woo fitting a mallory to 3.5

Hi All

Interesting reading with all the problems and sounds like My life for the last months trying everything to get My 3.5 to run right. I have rebuilt mine full works including a fast road cam and then added a Mallory/K&N's - tale of wo The dizzy just advanced full on at the slightest throttle and pinked like a pig - power great at 1800 onward but tried everything including several calls and emails around the world for advise - event RPI where I brought the dizzy and still couldn't beat it.(did have a little trip up the garden path as the new condensor was bad) Looked everywhere to find if I could get a vacuum delay capsule and found that there are actually 7 different ones used by Land Rover all different times and colour codes but try and get the items - not easy unless you want orange ( listed as 30 seconds but the one I got took nearer 35 seconds) and to much deay to man or beast. So out with the Mallory ( ooh even tried adding electronic ign module to it with some improvement) and back with the Lucas. Much improvement but you need the retard or tick over is fast and throttle slow shutting down but also I had disconnected the crankcase breathers this also has great effect on the whole package. Now near the end with overhauled Strombergs,mallory back with only vac advance and crank breather connected and the final fix change the springs in the dizzy the move the curve. And lastly dont but cheap leads or ign coils.

Reply to
jmillerinbourne