Weighty problem

In moments of tired and emotionalness ( brought on by various ales on top of the flu) I was considering a landy I know of in a pals field as a project . I was wondering what sort of weight a swb chassis comes in at. Derek

Reply to
Derek

about 120Kg Two people can manage one ok. Jon

Reply to
Jon

They're a tad heavier if they've got engine and axles attached....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

LOL thanks Jon (and Alex :-) ) I was looking at my options I have a handy trailer so that weight looks nice and feasable saves having to borrow my merc from work to do the business. Derek

Reply to
Derek

Ah! but then you can fit wheels! Jon

Reply to
Jon

well yes maybe a bit more in there

is lifting heavy stuff in ,the bed is just below chest heightDerek

Reply to
Derek

Oh well, if that's how it's coming, expect it 3 days late and you'll have to go to the nearest depot 30 miles away to collect it.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Cheeky monkey, thats an airfreight truck next day service to germany etc bit unfortunate if you were only sending it to Solihull tho Derek

Reply to
Derek

Fantastic. Pity they couldn't get my parcel to go 100 miles in the same time.....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

As a complete aside...

Large engineering server chassis for monitoring environmental conditions in an, erm, engineering environment. Went 'poof' due to oil residue in the air intake to the PSU. Manufacturer acks a fault, sends a new one - OVERNIGHT to UK - from JAPAN. Dispatched 13.20hrs Arrived next day at 11.50hrs. How on earth is this 'possible'?, especially when I can guarantee that between 10 and 15 percent of my membership renewals will never arrive, at all - IN THE UK?!

Reply to
Mother

Is that local times in both places? If so thats 30 1/2 hours for the trip.

Dispatch time is 1320 Tokyo = 0420 UTC day 1 Arrival time is 1150 London = 1050 UTC day 2

24:00 - 04:20 + 10:50 = 30.5hrs (I think...).

Flying time from direct Toyko to London is around 12hrs leaving

18.5hrs to get the thing to and from airports etc. If the thing is small enough to be carried on rather than checked that speeds things up. There are always a few "courier" seats available for this sort of small thing, or at least there were pre 9/11...

However did it *really* come from Japan or stock at a European or UK base? The order may have been issued in Japan but these days a decent stock system could dispatch from anywhere. A clever system would send the nearest, a really clever system the quickest (which might not be the nearest...)

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

All local (UK) times, from the time of the call to ack dispatch.

It did have to come from Japan as that's the only place they had one (these are a little unique), and they weight... well, I could only just lift one (if it was the same as the one it were replacing).

I've known thing be held up in clearing for easily as long as it took to get here.

I just thought it was incredible - and still do, that this type of logistics is possible.

Reply to
Mother

It is we made a business of it for 24 years sadly now we are part of dozy have loons so its just not the same . btw there are 3 different separate service companies in the deutche post group DHL courier, DHL Express (securicor) and DHL logistics - thats the folk who airfreight cars, aircraft bits, car and truck parts etc etc around the world and no I dont get a discount Derek

Reply to
Derek

May have to bear this in mind for my .com interest :-)

Reply to
Mother

I found out about the different divisons of DHL when i had to go drive

20 miles to collect a parcel, despite there being a huge new DHL depot 3 minutes from me in the centre of town....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Alex wrote: t

DHL couldn't organise a p*ss up in a brewery, (lost two payment cheques, found one, denied it, presented it, then got cross 'cos it was stopped) but then neither can TNT (critical shipment to ATLANTIC CITY, Not ATLANTA or (aak) Fed Ex (Critical shipment to Egypt ended up in New Zealand, and they wanted US to pay for the return) OR ParcelFarce ( new tent from Utah, airmailed in MARCH arrived last week. ( Sat in Manchester sorting office for around two weeks, clearly marked with our (apparently non existent address) ...then returned by sea mail to the US, we gave up, THAT came in by Fed Ex.) UPS won't carry our goods.

How can they ALL be incompetent ?

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I'm quite impressed as well. Shows what can be done if needs be (I bet it wasn't cheap...)

I still find it moderately surprising when I can order something on the web at 1900 and have it drop through the letter box 0900 the next morning having come from the other end of the country.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

heres a tip for you smallish parcels from the US - US Postal Service global priority mail

it will go in a big jiffy bobs yr uncle you will need to fish about onthe website for details it's the one I use fairly quick and veryinexpensive. Derek

Reply to
Derek

T'wasn't something I thought prudent to ask. Mind, it costs 5K to get Sat uplinking kit _anywhere_ in the world within 48 hours. Yes, I really do mean _anywhere_ in the world...

Reply to
Mother

On or around Sat, 01 Oct 2005 23:22:37 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice" enlightened us thusly:

had a box containing PSP5 delivered from the US in about 3 days a year or so ago.

Reply to
Austin Shackles