1990 LS400 PS pump redux

Still playing around with this issue. I had a Chicago independent shop install a salvage pump back in January. Well there was a minor connection leak. I live in CT and am back in Chicago this week. Well they said they fixed the leak (only just picked up the car today, so ...?!?), but there is a "new" issue. When I first start the car, the PS assist (level) is EXACTLY as before (GOOD), but after a minute or two, the assist level is stiffer than it used to be. This condition is repeated every time after the car is stopped (off) and restarted at a later time. The PS is definitely working ... just stiffer. Any insight?

Thanks as always.

Reply to
Jerohm

I played around a little more, and I am convinced that the stiffening doesn't happen until I actually drive the car. If I start the car, and turn the steering wheel from one side to the other, the "play" is the way it always WAS. As SOON as I put the car into drive and move it, the steering stiffens up. ... any ideas??

Reply to
Jerohm

There are basically two types of variable assist PS systems. The most common is where assist is reduced at higher engine RPM, and the power steering pump provides less assist as it spins faster.

The other type is where a speed sensor feeds a computer that controls a valve in the PS system to reduce assist. I believe this is the type in your car. Look for any disconnected or damaged wires in the vicinity of the PS pump or wherever the leak was.

Reply to
Ray O