2000 RX300 - Cost to replace water pump ?

Hey Folks:

This is 2000 RX-300 FWD, 68,500 miles (lots of city driving)

During an oil change at Lexus dealer, they found Water Pump leaking. They have recommended replacing:

1) water pump 2) T-Belt (not sure what this is .. is it timing belt ?) 3) Tensioner 4) Pulleys, and 5) Drive Belts

I am waiting for them to tell me how much will this cost me. Any ideas how much will this cost me ? Ballpark ? I am in SF Bay Area. Thx

Reply to
techtrainer

Your engine is an interference engine and can be damaged if the water pump seizes and breaks the timing belt. See info on timing belt change guide and interference engine:

"56&location_id487 I think they should also add the oil seals (crank and cam seals).

The 2000 should have had the timing belt and pump among other things replaced on the 6th year. So time-wise you're overdue (but 68K for a Lexus pump still sucks). People should replace the water pump with each timing belt and vise versa. It's the time and labor in getting to these parts, not the cost of the parts.

These jobs should run about $600-800 for Toyota V6 (same 1MZFE). Don't know if they'll charge you a Lexus premium, for the coffee you know.

Typical components replaced: (same parts the Toyota V6s use) older rockauto.com prices

GATES TCK257 timing component kit $89.79 (incl two idler pulleys and belt) FEL-PRO TCS45890 crank seal $6.27 FEL-PRO TCS45889 cam seal set $8.55 GATES K060410 Alt/AC belt $13.09 GATES K040345 PS belt $8.61 ASCO/AISIN Part # 1610029085 water pump $61.79 Total ~$188 + shipping

If needed: FEL-PRO VS50471R valve cover set (with spark plug tube seals) $30.79

Reply to
johngdole

Having owned a RX300 before, I'll bet the price is an inflated $1500 or so. I doubt you will get away with less than $1,000.

Reply to
tww1491

Hi ..

Thanks very much .. this gives me an idea on what to expect.

You stated:

Lexus pump still sucks).

Reply to
techtrainer

You are both right .. I got a quote for $1550 from dealer (Putnam Lexus here in Redwood City) breakup : $688 for parts & $852 for labor

I guess I need to shop around :( Thx again

Reply to
techtrainer

You mght try a Toyota dealer since the Highlander is mechanically the same.

Reply to
tww1491

Did Lexus even maintain the cooling system for you every 2 years?

Actually the pump should last at least 2 timing belt changes, with failures typically around 150K miles or so. Therefore 68K miles is considered premature failure.

You may not know, but your Lexus RX is actually a modified Toyota Camry (as with Highlander), with the 1MZFE V6 engine. Toyota may be able to get you out with $600-800 parts + labor. They certainly don't have problems doing it at that price for Camrys and Highlanders.

Of course, a $25 oil change turns into a $100 affair at Lexus. We can understand. IMO BMW high specification LL01/04 oil change for $120 every 15,000 miles is a better deal. Really.

Reply to
johngdole

Ray, a Toyota dude that checked around dealer service departments for hard to fix problems and what not took his Lexus to Toyota (same thing) for service. So dividing the $1500 price by 2 should get you into the ball park, and indeed I mentioned $600-800.

Reply to
johngdole

I'm with johngdole on this one.

Reply to