97 SC400 Engine/Transmission Noise from 30-60 mph

Hi All:

I just got a used '97 SC400, enjoying the driving experience and I slowly fixing up little problems here and there.

I am not sure about previous owner's maintainance habit, so far the car runs fine except when accelerating on the HWY from 30-60 mph, the engine and/or transmission tends to 'work very hard'.

I wonder it is because it is time to do a major tune up or the engine and/or transmission mounts needs to be replaced ?

Please share your opinion/experience.

BR,

V.

Reply to
Vinny

You didn't mention vehicle mileage, but if mileage is a multiple of 60,000 miles, I would have the spark plugs and timing belt checked because they need replacement at those intervals. Also, check the condition of the transmission fluid. Bad motor or transmission mounts will not make the engine work harder, and the symptoms of bad ones is usually a vibration or noise.

Reply to
Ray O

Good tips.

I bought it at 125K miles, now it is 130K miles.

AFAIK, timing belt should be changed around 90K, hopefully the previous guy had done that.

I guess he is lack> You didn't mention vehicle mileage, but if mileage is a multiple of 60,000

Reply to
Vinny

Hi Ray:

I did a major tune up where I changed the A/C filter, oil filter, fuel filter, replaced gaskets, changed engine oil, transmission oil, flushed coolant, checked timing belt and drive belt, replaced spark plugs, and the whole 9 yards.

The car runs smoother now, still... can hear the engine noise when accelerate while it is in 20-60 MPH range. Strangely, it is less noise from the passenger's side.

Anything else anyone can think of ? If the noise is by design, I've got nothing to complaint about but to live with it then.

BR,

V.

Reply to
Vinny

Without actually hearing the sound, it is difficult to say whether it is normal or not and what the source of the sound is. You may want to check the heat shields for the exhaust manifold catalytic converter(s) and exhaust system to see if any of them are loose.

Reply to
Ray O