'99 RX300: Engine Noise Occurred Every Morning

Hi All:

I owned a '99 RX300 and I noticed that every morning when I start the car and drive, I heard a 'chee-chee-chee' noise from the passenger side of the engine. The funny thing is that the noise is gone after

10-15 mins on the Hwy.

I talked to a repair shop guy, and he said is the timing belt since it has not changed during 60K miles. I need a second opinion.

Anyone have the same experience ? Please share...

BR,

V.

Reply to
Vinny

Could also be the accessory belt. I've not had this happen on our RX300, but have on other vehicles. Try some belt dressing and see if the noise goes away.

Gus

P.S. I'd have the timing belt changed anyway if you didn't have it done at

60,000 miles. I'm not sure about the RX300, but in many cars failure of the timing belt can result in significant engine damage (think of pistons hitting valves).
Reply to
Gus

Look at the power steering reservoir and see if the fluid level is low.

Reply to
Pud Knocker

Think of valves going through pistons. Think of valve stems bent up like pretzels. Think of WAY more $$ than it costs to replace a timing belt. Think of your car dying in the most inopportune moment with no other option than to have it towed.

Signed,

Been there, done that back in the 70's.

Reply to
ldamico

Thanks for all the suggestions. The winner is:

drive belt.

Got it replaced at Lexus of Austin while changing the timing belt. The noise is GONE! Every morning is beautiful again.

V.

Reply to
Vinny

Timing belt changed at 60k miles. Good grief any V6 or I4 Honda is recommended at 105k -- and some owners let them go longer. Even my Prelude is 90k and the dealer recommends 75-80.

Reply to
TWW