Audi showed market share strength in both car and SUV sales

So who's dumping what?
Posted 3rd June, 2009
Audi achieved an 8.8% share of U.S. imported luxury vehicle sales in May, marking another month of significantly improved results despite
challenging economic conditions.
The showing for May 2009 meant Audi increased its portion the luxury vehicle market nearly two full percentage points from a year earlier. Audi sales have resulted in similar market share gains in past months.
Audi showed market share strength in both car and SUV sales when compared against the results reported by other imported luxury vehicle manufacturers. Audi cars sales made up 9.6% of the May total in the imported luxury vehicle sector, compared to 8.5% in May 2008. Audi luxury sport-utility vehicle sales soared to 7.3% of that market segment compared to just 2.9% a year earlier. That sizeable gain is largely a result of the strong consumer demand for the new Audi Q5 crossover vehicle and impressive early demand for the Audi Q7 TDI clean diesel models.
Audi sold 7,503 units in May overall. With growing interest in its third full month, the Audi Q5 luxury crossover vehicle surpassed its previous monthly sales record with 1,413 units sold in May. The strong retail demand for the Q5 can also be seen by the quick turnaround in inventory at dealerships throughout the country.
Also continuing its strength in 2009, the Audi A5 sales increased over last year by more than 59.5 percent, due to 716 units sold this May. The A5 has recorded 3,150 total units sold in 2009, surpassing the total sales from 2008 during the same period by 48.4 percent.
Consumers once again proved that when you offer the right product ? sporty, yet sophisticated, design with exceptional dynamic character ? sales will follow, no matter the economic headwinds, said Johan de Nysschen, President, Audi of America. Industry sales this month continue to show that the nation has not yet turned the corner, but I see signs that consumers are interested, as both showroom and internet traffic are up.
The Audi TDI clean diesel SUV showed promising signs in a limited release during May. The Audi Q7 TDI surpassed 350 sales in May, representing 44 percent of total Q7 sales. Total sales for the Audi Q7 reached 795, which is an 18% increase over last month and the best sales month of 2009 for the model.
Audi recorded 2,839 Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) units sold in May, and has now exceeded 13,358 CPO sales in 2009.
On Wed, 3 Jun 2009 19:00:50 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Wow, they're doing great!
And from your previous post about the horrible news for Lexus:

So, Audi is having fabulous success, by selling 13% less cars than Lexus.
Frankly, I'm not one to judge the quality of a car by their popularity or sales figures. I don't base my decisions on what other people think. But if your mission is to convince people what a horrible choice a Lexus is, you might want to find some other method, because this line of reasoning makes you look foolish.
john, you need a new hobby. You're terrible at this Lexus-bashing thing.
By the way, there's no need to feel ashamed - tell us what you drive.
On Jun 3, 10:00pm, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

you are dumping crap in this newsgroup.
do you think anyone cross shops Audi and Lexus? you've not driven Audis, have you?

Very hard to push one car over another; I have a '06 GS300 AWD, and the way I see it, you can go to Edmunds.com and find good and bad things about all cars... there are even good notes on some Cadillac models. If you do the math, most cars are fairly close in reliability and price competitive. So the bottom line is three items: (1) Expected resale value, (2) How the car feels after ten or so miles of driving and (3) How close is your dealer.
Having recently moved, I now find myself about 70 miles from a Lexus dealer, and the nearest luxury car dealer is Audi, still about 20 miles from me, so I shall definitely consider driving an Audi this year, when I decide to trade my Lexus in. Mercedes and BMW dealers are as far away as Lexus from me, so they are out, and the only dealer close is Acura. I guess you have to live in a rich neighborhood to shop for a luxury car nearby. Just a thought