english to metric

I tried to contact my local lexus dealers here in British Columbia. None of them were aware of any simple computer re-programming. could you ask your friend to elucidate the process? It seems at least one of the dealers here is very keen on knowing what and how to do it. If you remember could you ask him for some more details?

Thanks..

mike....

>I am interested in starting a small business based on buying Lexus LS and SC >>models and reselling them into a Canadian market. The American Lexus are >>equipped as most know, in the english scale where the odometer is measured in >>miles and not the more standard kilometres. Since the odometer is a digital >>and computer controlled display, is there a simple method of changing the >>display to show kilometres rather than miles? >> >> I do not wish to change out the instrument package as it would change the >> "unofficial" mileage, but I am indeed wondering if the smarts were installed >> to change them to display metric measures rather than english measures.... >> >> Anyone know if this is a documented or undocumented ability? >> >> Otherwise I will sell them with the english measure. >> >> There are a few changes that must be made to meet Canadian standards, notably >> the headlights on during the day. I think this can easily be done via a kit >> from Toyota, or simply by wiring the headlights into a oil pressure guage. >> Also there are rules regarding tinted windows that are different in Canada >> from the USA. >> >> No other changes are needed to my knowledge, but the Canadian authorities seem >> to suggest it best to change the odometre to read metric rather than english. >> My opinion is if it is not able to be done with a simple flip, then it is best >> to leave it alone. Changing out via swapping to a new cluster in my opinion is >> more offensive than selling a car with miles rather than kilometres. >> >> The speedometer of course is the same. I also wonder if anyone makes a stick >> on decal type of covering that will show the "big numbers" on the outside >> circle in kilometres rather than the US models that show the "big numbers" in >> miles. >> >> Anyone have any experience in these matters?

This is Turtle.

I HAVE BEEN TOLD that the Lexus Dealership can put their conputor on it and change the mile to Kilo-meters. This is Not me but the fellow who works on my Lexus.

Them there Kilo-Meter reading will mess you up. I drove down to Mexico a few years ago to go fishing and kept seeing 45 to 90 miles per hour and we hauled ass driving down there. We figured out with a little help with the road being bad that it was Kilo-Meters and MPH. I kept wondering why there was so many Soldgers in Army Jeeps tring to drag race with us. Ever 15 miles or so it was a check point and everytime we passed one at 90 or a 100 MPH there would be 4 soldgers in a jeep running after us. They would just give up after about a miles for that jeep was just too slow. I talk to the fellow at the fishing camp about this and he said they were tring to give you a ticket for speeding. He also told us that they are told to try to stop us but if you had a Mexican insurance sticker on it. just let them go. If you stop it cost you $20.00 and a lecture in Mexican . If you don't stop it cost nothing.

I drove on the way back for my friends have lead in their feet but it was hard to not speed up when you come to one of those check points and let a Army jeep drag race a Lexus LS-400.

TURTLE

Reply to
mikstp