GS300 or Infiniti M35x or Infiniti G35x

After having had two BMW 5s and an Acura MDX, I'll soon be ready for a new car. The 5s were fine, but even though the latest version has an AWD option, I don't like the styling. I want AWD, but don't need the bulk of an SUV, the expense of replacing SUV brakes or the cost of fueling an SUV. I've narrowed down the choices to the three models noted above. I like the quiet of the Lexus GS and the apparent value of the G35x, which is close to the GS in interior room, but may offer far better value. Whether the M35x offers enough more for a higher price remains to be seen. I'm looking for the best overall package at a monthly lease cost under $725 (nothing down, 36 mos.) I may or may not get the built-in navigation system, but would add few options. All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Reply to
nrwayne

This should be easy. If you loved the handling of the Bimmer, then get either Infiniti. The M will have a nicer interior, but not be as quick as the G. Either will be a better handler than the GS. If you love comfort and reliability above all else, get the GS, but don't expect a driver's car.

- GRL

Reply to
GRL

GS's handling and acceleration are not worthy of its price. If you like comfort and faux-prestige, get the Lexus. If you want value for money and performance, get either Infiniti. Still, the M35/45 don't match BMW in performance. I have test driven all cars mentioned here.

Reply to
Mack

Yes, and BMW reliability will not match either Lexus or Infiniti. It's a trade off. A pity, too, because if Toyota got serious about building a driver's version of the GS, there would be no point in buying a Bangle-ized 5-Series...except for the die-hard Bimmer-heads who have to have those twin kidneys in front. They, Toyota, blew it with the new IS350, too, even more unfortunately.

I don't know what you mean by "faux-prestige". Lexus as a brand has earned real prestige...and it has it. Infiniti, less so, because they got off to a bad start and never quite recovered. The new Skyline will help change that.

You want to read about "faux prestige", go read some of the messages in the BMW forums from long-standing Bimmer-heads who have had enough with BMW lack of reliability and are bailing out.

- GRL

Reply to
nopcbs

It is a real shame about Lexus' new models. It seems that either they just don't know how to build a driver's car, or they simply gave up and went back to their zone of comfort. My '02 IS300 stick shift may not have had the sophistication of the 3 series, but it definitely was an honest attempt at a driver's car, is reliable, and cost $5000 less. The present 350 is kind of blimpy looking (although the new 3-series isn't exactly beautiful either), doesn't have a manual transmission, costs pretty much the same as a 3-series now, and is in general more of an old man's car than a driver's car, even if it does have 306 horsepower. I wasn't looking for a new car before the model launch, and I'm definitely not looking now. My plan is to wait out this model cycle, and hope that the next series is better. If I had to buy today I'd probably look at the Infinity, which will probably be more reliable than a 3-series, comes with a stick shift, and still manages to undersell the IS and Bimmer by 5000 bucks, although it's no good looker either. Maybe there's an advantage to the buyer when the whole car company doesn't get off to a good start.

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff