E320 or E270 estate (diesel) opinions (UK)

Hello,

I live in the UK and shortly will be given the option of leasing a car from my company on 'preferential' terms. I want a large diesel estate car and can choose anything I like, obviously the leasing cost varies accordingly.

The only cost additonal to the lease I incur towards running the car will be personal fuel (i.e. insurance, servicing, tax etc is included in the lease)

Wife and I like the new E class estates but are unsure whether the E320 is worth the price hike over the E270. The E220 sounds too underpowered to be considered seriously.

Could any owners of either car comment on relative driveability?

We are still deciding whether to opt for a auto or not.....

Our normal usage will be in town although we venture further afield when holidaying within the UK and on the continent by car.

To give you an idea the E270 is *approximately* £400 / month and the E320 an additional £50 /month.

Would you pay £600 / year extra for the larger engine?

We have arranged for test drives in 2 weeks time but would love to hear from people who have 'lived' with the cars in question.

Cheers

Jolltax

Reply to
Jolltax

have driven the 220 and 270, but not the 320. in my opinion, the 220 was fine. 270 obviously more eager, but the 220 seemed quick enough to me. the

320 would obviously be very fast, as fast as petrol models of nearly the same displacement ... but estate drivers are probably not too worried about tearing away from the lights. maybe the 270 will be better with gas in the long run, i don't know (power -> weight and all that). both the cars i drove had auto boxes. i would never recommend a merc without auto. they just can't make manual boxes for anything but the extreme sports type stuff. and even then, someone esle makes the gearbox.

Reply to
Nick Hogg

Dont ever, ever consider a manual transmission for the 270. Why do you ever want to pull that stick? For the 320 you have no choice, it only comes with auto. Also, if you go for the manual on a 270, you will have less torque than with the auto.

You really should try the 220, it is a good alternative. It has gotten some more power as well since it was used in the 210's.

Thomas.

Reply to
Thomas Kaarud

No. Definitely!

As others already have said get the auto! Definitely!

And do consider the 220, it is _not_ slow: It has 150 PS, 340 Nm torque at 2000 rpm,

11,1 s from 0-62.1 mph, top speed of 207 km/h = ca. 129 mph; the 270 has the same engine with one additional cylinder = 5, 177 PS, 400 Nm at 1800-2600, 9,3 s, 220 km/h = ca. 137 mph

As you can see the 270 is better, but the

220 is _not_ slow - how much would the 220 be less with the monthly lease rate?

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Why not?

OK, OK I get the message - I like a manual car but as this is hardly a 'sports' car I suppose the auto the one to go for

The figures I am using are a bit out of date (November 2002) but show monthly cost :

MERCEDES E220 5DR ESTATE 2.2 CDi AUTO £380 MERCEDES E270 5DR ESTATE 2.7 CDi AUTO £390 MERCEDES E320 5DR ESTATE 3.2 CDi AUTO £430

They have not changed significantly since then. I think the 220 is not much cheaper due to the residual second hand value being better on the 270, this makes lease costs lower.

I still think the E320 looks good for £40 more. The 220 is not good value for me as for £10 more per month I can get an E270.

Thanks for the good feedback. I am looking forward to the test drive.

Chunkers

Jolltax

Reply to
Jolltax

You are right to dismiss the E220, its s-l-o-w

Merc make great auto boxes and horrible manual ones. Drive both and you will realise you don't really need to think about it any more.

The 270 is a very capable performer, you probably don't *need* a 320 so I guess its down to the boy racer in you ;-)

Reply to
miknik

Gimme a break, its slow ;-)

Reply to
miknik

Ok, for just another £10 I would definately choose the 270. But, please... promise you go for the auto.

Thomas.

Reply to
Thomas Kaarud

No, it is NOT - NOT NOT NOT NOT!!!! ;-))

SLOW is a car with a top speed of 86 mph and a 0-62.1 mph time of 24.7 secs!

And to get serious: SLOW is highly subjective so it is difficult to judge about that once a certain level is reached (as it is the case with the 220).

Juergen - having a 72 PS MB diesel _racer_ in the garage

Reply to
Juergen .

The benefit of the extra cylinder plus the added power is not worth 40 Pounds a month (compared 320 vs. 270):

500 Nm vs. 400 at the same rev range, 8.2 vs. 9.3 s, 234 km/h vs. 220 km/h (145 vs. ca. 137 mph). If the difference would be sth. like 10 Pounds: Ok, but not at 40 Pounds.

The new auto boxes can not be compared with the old ones, the new ones are _much_ better. Besides that MB is known for not-so-good manual boxes since ages; also the layout of the emergency brake (the foot-brake which on other cars is a hand-brake) clearly is aimed at the auto boxes.

Clear winner ist the 270!

As per the above figures the 220 is out of the game.

I still disagree, that is 480 pounds a year, that is too much for the relatively little extra power. Driving in the UK you have a speed limit of

70 mph = 112 km/h so the top speed is of no real importance and in the real world 9.3 s for 0-62.1 is as fast as 8.2 s.

Yes, definitely, see above.

The S211 is a truly great car - you WILL love it!

Have you already chosen the options?

In case you tell where you drive (city, country, motorway),how much you drive (miles per year) and when you drive (from home to work and back or also much driving for the company) one could give some thougths about useful options - don`t forget to mention what the max. cost for options is.

To give you a clue: In case you are a travelling salesman a COMAND system is a MUST, plus a sunroof, cupholders etc. pp. Just for driving to and from the company a COMAND system definitely is overkill.

Kind regards

Juergen

Reply to
Juergen .

Eh? Some of us are, or there wouldn't be E500 estate and AMG models (my particular fantasy to tear away from the lights with).

Reply to
GT

well, sure. i just meant in general.

Reply to
Nick Hogg

:)

Will negotiate with Mrs Jolltax, we all have a little 'boy racer' in us. I like the idea of out-accelerating all the young lads in town in their GTi's in a 2 tonne estate complete with baby, labrador and shopping.

Heh

Jolltax

Reply to
Jolltax

See you there ;-)

Reply to
miknik

Some twenty years ago I did the very same with my MB /8 230 6-banger with 120 PS when I changed the designation on the trunk to 200D = 55 PS and then had my pleasure winning traffic light races against all those 60/75/90 PS _sporty_ Opel Mantas and Ford Capris... ...any nowadays I'm not interested anymore in other people racing around on the streets - living in a big city I know it only leads to more tyre rubbing, brake pad wear and higher fuel consumption but to nothing else.

Juergen (and for my really wild days see

Juergen .

Mine has a voracious appetite, the groceries would not be safe.

Bob

Reply to
bobb2

I own a W211 270CDi and I'm very happy with it, the performance is brilliant. I'm glad I chose it over a 220CDi.

I have also been in a E320CDi, and although it didn't feel that much quicker it did sound much more refined, it sounded more like a 6 cyl Petrol than a diesel, where as the 270 can suffer from diesel clatter.

I'd also recommend the Avantgarde spec, the extra's it offers (inc Bi-Xenons) make the extra cost well worth it.

As your in the UK have a look at

Richard