GX470 Sport Bumper Trim & Gas Question

If you price a GX470 on Edmunds, there is an option you can choose called "FO Sport Bumper Trim". It is separate from the "Sport Package". I can find reference to it on the Lexus site as a dealer installed option but no picture. Anyone know what this is?

Also, does the GX470 require something higher than 87 octane fuel?

Thank You

Reply to
Henry Trolio

I had an 05 GX and ran 87 octane with no problem. I now have an 06 GX and I noticed that Lexus has installed a decal inside the gas cap door which calls for Premium Unleaded. I've tried all 3 octane grades and haven't noticed a difference. I read that the engine will cut the timing slightly and using the 87 octane fuel will not harm the engine. It will just give a slight decrease in performance. But of course most folks will say if you can afford a Lexus, you can afford to put the proper fuel in it.

Reply to
Robert

My dealer, and the book, told me to use Premium in my 04 RX330. A couple of months later while in for an oil change I asked my salesman. He told me he has the same engine and uses 87 octane with no problem.

Confused, I ran my own test. I ran about five tanks of 87 octane, then five tanks of premium, doing essentially the same type of driving. My results showed about a 1.25 to 1.50 increase in mileage using premium. I suspect most would see the same difference.

Bottom line; dollar wise it is about the same. Use the recommended premium.

Reply to
Michael MacMahon

Yes, but have you read the owner's manual?

I'm amazed at the number of people who somehow amass enough money to buy a Lexus despite being stupid enough not to read the owner's manual.

The owner's manual no doubt says the same thing every Lexus owner's manual says: you won't do any damage using 87 octane fuel.

Reply to
Elmo P. Shagnasty