Lexus tops latest J.D. Power...

The latest J.D. Power and Associates 'Vehicle Dependability Study' results were released this week. For the 12th straight year Lexus took top honors. They were followed by Mercury, Buick, Cadillac and Toyota to round out the top 5 brands. I have to say that Mercury's number 2 ranking surprised me.

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

I'm surprised that 3 of the top 5 are from the US, that Toyota is number 5 and that Honda's not in the tip 5 at all.

I actually feel bad for Ford and GM. Their problem is that it took them literally 30 years to develop a reputation of building turds on wheels, and unfortunately, it will take them nearly as long building reliable cars to shake that bad reputation.

Reply to
Mark Klebanoff

Reply to
W. Wells

Funny that you should say that, because I just sent a friend of mine an e-mail message last night stating that I simply could not believe that Mercury, Buick and Cadillac all three ranked higher than Toyota, Acura, Honda and Infiniti in the latest Vehicle Dependability Study by J.D. Power and Associates. Now I CAN believe that they ranked higher than BMW and Mercedes-Benz. Definitely no surprises there for me.

Ron M.

Reply to
Ron M.

It does sound fishy that GM makes would outclass Honda. Then again, lots of Honda cars are made in the U.S. today, so maybe the good ol' American work ethic has infected Honda too. I wonder how big the sample size is in JD Powers' survey and how they select the respondents. It would NOT surprise me if GM learned how to game this system. Easier to figure that out than to learn how to not produce "turds on wheels."

Reply to
Mack

I've heard that J.D. Power is really just a marketing company known for constructing surveys and polls that make their clients look good. Notice how often you hear them mentioned in commercials?

Reply to
McPhallus

ditto that Mark.

I would love to purchase an American (GM,Ford) auto, but I'll be looking at Lexus because of dependability.

I'm surprised that 3 of the top 5 are from the US, that Toyota is number 5 and that Honda's not in the tip 5 at all.

I actually feel bad for Ford and GM. Their problem is that it took them literally 30 years to develop a reputation of building turds on wheels, and unfortunately, it will take them nearly as long building reliable cars to shake that bad reputation.

Reply to
stevie