LS430 D-ACC Relay Access

I tried on Club Lexus but got no response so trying here:

I have an '02 LS430. The front cigarette lighter and the power outlet in front console have no power, even with key 'on'. Fuses are good. According to Elec Wiring Diagram (pub. EWD457U), page 72, there is a relay ('D-ACC') that feeds these 2 fuses. The relay is located in left kick panel junction box (page 28 of pub.)

When I view the junction box I can't see the relay due to the carpeting that surrounds junction box. Is there a secret on how to access this or do you just have to tear the carpet away to get at it? Seems there should be an easier way to access.

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.

Reply to
Xplant

The inside of the junction box cover should have a schematic that shows the location of the relay. If that doesn't help, look above the JB. If that doesn't work, report back and I'll climb under my dash.

By any chance, did you plug in something with a high draw into both of those outlets? The outlet has a thermal fuse and you have to replace the outlets if the thermal fuse has blown. To check that, you have to check for voltage where the wire connects to the back of the outlet.

Reply to
Ray O

Ray--

Thanks for your response. I have a layout of where the relay is in my electrical schematic manual. I will send you a picture of the junction box and approximate location of relay, and a scan of the manual page to your email address.

I bought the car used 3+ years ago, and it has never worked. Oddly my in laws have a newer ES330 with the same problem (they also bought used).

Thanks for the tip on the thermal fuse, but wouldn't that disable just the lighter and not the power port in the console as well?

Also, thanks for ALL your valuable posts!

Reply to
Xplant

I'll keep an eye out for your e-mail. I'll be in and out all weekend as we have visitors from out of town.

A lot of people who work on the road use inverters to power things like laptops, and some inverters draw current right at or below the threshold where a fuse would blow over a long period of time, causing the thermal fuse in the socket to fail. The thermal fuse doesn't blow right away, so people don't associate the inverter as the cause. After one outlet fails, they replace the fuse, the outlet still doesn't work, so they use another outlet in the car, causing the same problem.

For example, let's say a laptop draws 1.5 amps at 120 volts. The DC to AC conversion isn't exact, but using the E= I x R formula, at 12 volts, that works out to roughly 15 amps, which is what most accessory sockets are fused at.

You're welcome on the posts - I enjoy puzzles.

Reply to
Ray O