ACC Problems

I have a 1992 9000 Turbo which I dearly love. However, two nights ago, the ACC started freaking out. As I was driving back from Seattle in about 52 or so degree weather, the cabin fan kept coming on, staying on for a couple seconds, then turning off...over and over again. The following day, I took my kids to their piano lesson, and when we fired up the car to leave, there was a brif whiff of that dreaded burnt-electrical-circuit-smell. Then yesterday, on a fairly long highway trip, I noted the AC kicking in on low speed despite a 54 degree day. When I got home, I checked for bad fuses, pulled the glove box hoping to find a bad relay and of course found thet there was no such relay for the ACC. I also ran the recalibration which returned zero faults. I noted the the heat would kick in if the ACC was set higher than 82 - lower than that was either nothing or AC. I also noted the the trip computer reported the outside temperature as 94 degrees! On a test drive, that dropped to around 71.I am thinking I have a fulty ACC module, but I don't want to buy an expensive part if I am overlooking something. The burnt circuit smell might be a red herring, but probably not. I note that the outside temperature sensor is behind the front bumper somewhere, but I don't know where exactly. Is it possible that it became dislodged and is now living somewhere near the radiator?

Reply to
EP

< snip >

If the outside air temp sensor is malfunctioning it could cause all manner of trouble.

What do you have to do to get cooling ?

Graham

Reply to
Pooh Bear

Check the blower fan speed control. It is mounted on the blower motor. Townsend's site has a very good write up of diagonsing ACC malfunctions. If you are up to it, go check it out. It leads you step by step to eliminate and isolate the problem.

Reply to
yaofeng

That sounds like just the thing. Because after a couple more days, I am beginning to suspect the fan itself is going as well. And I am probably due for a replacement anyways at 143,000 miles, along with the heater core. I am noticing a puff of steam on the inside glass on a warm start-up.

Pardon my ignorance and/or laziness...but do you have an URL? That wouldn't be townsendimports.com would it?

Reply to
EP

Reset the ACC unit... It happened to me twice; puch the reset sequence (it's in the manual). It worked just fine for me both times.

"EP" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Reply to
Rob

PUSH of course.. Sorry for the typo!

"Rob" schreef in bericht news:435a16fa$0$11066$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl...

Reply to
Rob

Check this out,

yaofeng

Rob, thanks loads, but I had already given that a try as part of my trouble shooting. Looks like the cabin fan/fan control unit is TU. Shortly after posting, the fan started making an unholy grinding/growling sound on anything over low speed, then stopped going there altogether.

Reply to
EP