LX470 transmission blown. Could engine braking cause this?

I have a 1999 LX470 with 125,000 miles on it. I live on a hill 750ft high and I always use engine braking (rather than brake braking) when going downhill as the LX470 has undersized brakes for such a heavy car (my brake rotors have been redone 4 times so far). The Lexus dealer insists on my engine braking. Now my transmission is gone bad ("the pressure levels are inadequate") and they have just installed a new transmission. It seems to me that a transmission should not go bad in only 125k miles. Is it possible that all that engine braking could cause the transmission failing? Pelle

Reply to
Pelle Peloton

It might have contributed. But 125K miles is high enough that transmission failures are not uncommon so it might have nothing to do with it.

- Mark

Reply to
markjen

Out of curiosity, did you replace the transmission/differential fluids at regular intervals???

-

-- Curtis Newton snipped-for-privacy@remove-me.akaMail.com

ICQ: 4899169

Reply to
Curtis Newton

Reply to
Pelle Peloton

Can you elaborate on your rotors being "redone" four times?

Lexus does not sanction resurfacing of rotors- have you actually been through FOUR sets of rotors in 125k??

Thanks, rt

Reply to
rt

Also, driving habits affect longevity of the tranny (and lots of other systems too). The auto trans will definitely last longer if the vehicle is driven gently overall.

Most people drive their vehicles relatively hard, in my experience.

Watch the Rat Race - hard accelerations despite looming red lights etc., followed by hard braking. Over and over... (It's like most people have a learning disability regarding traffic systems & patterns as affecting their own vehicle motion. Or maybe many people live fantasies about being the next star auto racing champion?)

Reply to
Bob H.

And you'll buy another Lexus?

Reply to
noyap

Yes, four sets of brakes. The rotors have been warped. I think the dealer calls it "resurfacing" and "machining" the rotors. I live on a

750ft high hill and the road is quite curvy. For most of my sh>Can you elaborate on your rotors being "redone" four times?
Reply to
Pelle Peloton

My 2 cents....I have found that in general the Toyota (Lexus) transmission holds up very well using "excessive" engine braking (long hills or trailers) however the tranny cooling system is not good enough. "Burned" transmission fluid will allow wear in the little "valves" inside the tranny giving low overall pressure.

125K is not bad considering what most American pickups get when hauling trailers, but not typical of Toyota.

At first I changed the fluid very often (you can smell the burned fluid on the dip stick and you do not have to be an expert -- it is a very different smell from a fresh quart). That got old....so I put in a larger aftermarket transmission cooler (its up by the radiator and costs

Reply to
Nospam

Good response, and a very good idea.......

transmission

aftermarket

noyap

Like I mentioned, resurfacing/machining of rotors is NOT something Lexus sanctions. And, doing this to your rotors definitely isn't the same as replacing them, in terms of cost or longevity.

Ask any mid to heavy SUV owner with over 80,000 miles- likely he/she has had to replace rotors as well. I think you are wise to employ engine braking, if not for anything more than the enhanced safety. One tranny every 125K is acceptable, but probably a bit shorter than if you lived in Kansas.

Best, rt

Reply to
rt

Thank you, I really appreciate your opinions. Interestingly enough the resurfacing/machining was recommended and done by the local Lexus dealer.... So I'll keep on engine braking and hoping for the best ... Pelle

Reply to
Pelle Peloton

Yeah, service shops DO have to make their money.

I'd recommend remembering your experience with this dealer in your future service needs.

rt

inadequate")

Reply to
rt