Buy a Toyota or GM

Page 1 of 3
My wife & I are looking at minivans. We can get some real good prices on a GM cars. Having said that, a new Toyota Sienna is about $2-3K more than a Saturn Relay minivan. That
really made me think again. I tend to think, or want to believe, that GM's quality is very good. A good amount of warranty issues are from poor maintenance.
Would you go for the GM (Saturn Relay or Chevy Uplander) or a Yota Sienna ?
IMHO GM is huting because 20 -25 years ago, when my age group was buying their first cars GM, Ford etc made some real junk. Ugly and poorly assembled. I believe that the build quality is good but they have not hit the mark for me. I bought an Acura Integra in 91 and there was no GM car that remotely appealled to me. The closest American option was a Ford Probe. Almost bought one but the warranty excluded pulling a trailer, like my Hobie Cat.

good
?
Probe.
Hobie
Most of what you say is reasonable with the exception of the warranty point. A good amount of warranty issues do not stem from poor maintenance. Most warranty claims stem from either known problem areas or fluke failures. Maintenance isn't going to do anything for those.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

The new Sienna is not one of the better cars Toyota has put out in recent memory. Take a look at the reviews below I linked on it, sort them by the lowest and you'll see consistent problems...poor mileage and run flat tires being the most common. The new Saturn Vue is a nice vehicle IMHO. IIRC it has a Honda drivetrain. Decent interior too.
http://autos.yahoo.com/newcars/toyota_sienna_ 2005/4242/model_user_reviews.html
Dave Stone wrote:

Runflats are a horrible idea for family vehicles for sure.
John
Howard Cohen wrote:

The Sienna so far out-classes the GM vans as to make it not even a contest. Also, the Toyota will hold it's resale value much better than the Saturn, so unless you plan to run the vehicle into the ground you will get most, if not all, of the price premium back on the other end.
John
Somebody must like the GM vans, GM sells a lot more vans than Toyota. So does Dodge for that matter
mike hunt

Lower prices!
Spam Hater wrote:

Lower prices! Better quality! Better styling! What more can you ask?
When I was in retail the most important question a customer would ask before signing on the bottom line was always 'How much is my monthly payment?' LOL
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

Mike, as a banker, that's the same question I keep hearing too. The same goes for home mortgages.
Some people would like to think otherwise but I took many a sale from other dealers and other brands for as little as $10 a month, even among deals from one of our other stores Why anyone thinks a buyer will pay 20% to 30% more to buy a summarily sized and equipped car to get a particular brand in beyond my experience. LOL
mike hunt

Mike Hunter wrote:

You're right Mike - money talks! <lol>
Look at what the Korean cars are doing to the Japanese brands among foreign car buyers in the US. Hyundai is fourth in foreign car sales behind Nissan. LOL
mike hunt

and don't forget GM and the dex-coolant gasket leaks into the engine... why would you buy a GM...? their poor quality rotors, and brake pads, plus the gasket leaks with dex-coolant. and their poor quality night lights.

Mostly they leak *outside* of the engine.

Predictable 200,000 miles is a good reason to start with.

Not really any worse than most OEM rotors. How many miles do you expect to get out of a set of rotors? I replace OEM rotors with aftermarket at the first brake job, but my GM rotors have consistently gone ~40,000 miles. You consider that to be inadequate?

You already used that one up. Sorry - no double dipping.

I'll give you this much on the lights - they could be better. I would not call them poor quality though. I'd put them about on a par with most of what comes from the manufacturers these days. Some are great. My daughter's '98 Malibu has the best headlights I've ever seen - anywhere. Go figure - on a Malibu. My '03 Grand Am is what I'd call... uninspiring. Not bad, but sure as hell not great.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

Jake, It is Dex-Cool, not Dex-coolant. You look like a bigger idiot (if that's possible) every time you post.
Dave
Today, I checked out both the Saturn Relay and the Toyota Sienna. The numbers are in and they both cost roughly the same. I can get 0.0% on a leftover '05 Relay(or $3500 cash back w/ financing). The Yota has 3.9% financing on an '06, about the same for an '06 Relay.
Hmmm, proven resale v.s. crappy resale. I think that the fixed price no haggle thing is now hurting Saturn. Oh yea, the Sienna has side airbags on all three rows standard whereas the Saturn only has second row on highly optioned models. I have two kids and why have it up front when none in the back ?
Sorry GM, gotta do better.

on a

That
good
Howard Cohen wrote:

At the same price it is an easy choice and GM looses the battle.
If you must buy a GM van, I would get the Buick if only because it has a longer warranty (starting in '06) than do the Chevy, Pontiac & Saturn.
John
John Horner wrote:

But the Sienna is such an ugly, ugly, bland, vanilla looking machine. Has the automotive world come down to making sacrifices such as this for some people? Choosing blandness over good looks for perceived resale value? Man, I'd hate to see the wives of Howard and John, if this is what they base their decisions on! I'd rather have a trophy car/wife with lower value when I'm done with her! <lol>
Cool Jet wrote:

Are you saying that you think the current GM minivans are good looking?
John